Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 starting problems after stalling

fatgammon
08-29-2004, 05:13 AM
My 1989cc passat has stalled and is never to start again. It has fuel and the engine turns lovely. No sparks, see. My sparks have leaked out somewhere. No problems up to this point with it.

I have had the dizzy changed and no result. Might it be the EMS or that alloy box on the bulkhead that the ht lead goes to? I thought it might be the crankcase sensor ( someone said ). If so where is it and how do I test it?

I thought that the mechanical jolt of stalling might have dislodged something..... my wife actually dropped the clutch whilst the car was in gear, it didnt stop by itself.

Can any genius help me??

boschmann
08-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Check the outer two pins on the distributor harness connector. With the key in the on position there should be 12 Volts. When you turn the key to on do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds? Just one more thought, when you crank the engine can you see that the camshaft is turning, or distributor rotor is turning?

fatgammon
08-30-2004, 05:44 AM
Check the outer two pins on the distributor harness connector. With the key in the on position there should be 12 Volts. When you turn the key to on do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds? Just one more thought, when you crank the engine can you see that the camshaft is turning, or distributor rotor is turning?
Thanks boschman, I will try these tests as soon as I can.
I guess you may be thinking that the cam belt set up might be ko'd or something. The distributor harness connector, where's that, I'll look for it anyway.

Thanks

Phil

fatgammon
08-30-2004, 07:09 AM
Boschman, the engine turns the dissy, the dizzy has 12v on its pins (found it). camshaft is hidden by a screen but it must be turning over as there are no grinding noises! There is a fuel pump noise, sounds good.

boschmann
08-30-2004, 09:08 AM
That's good, I thought possibly the abrupt forced stall might have caused the belt to break or jump (If it jumped you would get strange backfires). It sounds like the distributor internals are working, but you need to verify it. First, verify there is no spark at the coil wire by removing it from the distributor & holding it close to an engine ground while you crank the engine. Then you will need to find a LED test light, available at most automotive stores and test the center wire on the distributor wiring harness. Plug the connector back in to the distributor & backprobe (tap into) the center green/white wire with the other end of the test light hooked to battery positive. When the engine is cranked the light should flash. You might also want to take the time to closely examine the coil unit for signs of overheating and burned wires.

fatgammon
08-30-2004, 11:38 AM
just tested the centre lead on the diz against the block - no spark. Will get a led thing asap for the other test.

Add your comment to this topic!