Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Questions about a 1993 Lightning.

RedLightning
08-28-2004, 11:32 AM
Hey guys I am thinking of getting a 1993 Ford Lightning and have two questions, how much it can tow, and have any of you guys have any good or bad experiances with them? Do you guys think that they would be a nice first car?

landyacht
08-29-2004, 11:18 AM
The Lightning was made in 1993? That i didn't know! As far as a good investment or not, i'm assuming they used the 5.4L V8 in the thing, so there ought not be a problem as far as from-factory reliability.

The problem with a vehicle like this used is the things are usually bagged on so badly they're more headache than anything over time. Towing capacity ought to be around 5000lbs like the new ones, as the chassis ought to still be a 1/2 tonne. If it's a 1/4 tonne chassis then i'd suggest 3500lbs.

RedLightning
08-29-2004, 08:05 PM
actually they used a 5.8 liter V-8, the first gen lightnings were from the years 1993-1995, then in 1999 they made the second gen which streched to 2004.

The car really only has to last 6-7 years, when i would hopefully get a 67 firebird, since im can't find a cheap enough now.

Purerock105
08-29-2004, 09:27 PM
I've talked to many a GEN 1 Lightning owner. Most seemed very pleased
with the first Lightnings 93-95. All were N/A 351-Windsor motors that
came under-rated at 240hp and 340tq. I'd like to say that the tow
rating was around 5000lbs and a payload of 750lbs. I've seen GEN1's
tow a car on a trailer for what it's worth.

Here's a pic of a 1993 GEN One
http://carluva.50megs.com/images/Lightning1.jpg

Here's a pretty informative link on production numbers and such. :smile:

Lightning Info (http://www.thebaskins.com/faq.htm)

RedLightning
08-29-2004, 09:35 PM
I've talked to many a GEN 1 Lightning owner. Most seemed very pleased
with the first Lightnings 93-95. All were N/A 351-Windsor motors that
came under-rated at 240hp and 340tq. I'd like to say that the tow
rating was around 5000lbs and a payload of 750lbs. I've seen GEN1's
tow a car on a trailer for what it's worth.

well thanks for the info, they have alot of info i think on fords svt website about old svt's but i cant view it for some reason. I love the towing capacity, means it can tow my wittle boat(avatar) and my dads bigger one(emergency only, its about 5,000 when dry) if need be.

RedLightning
09-03-2004, 10:00 PM
well i just saw the truck today in person, and it was in awsome shape, even though it is slower then the maxima i drive now(mom's car), it put a much bigger smile on my face, its a bit out of our budget, but my parents are talking about giving me a bit more money and talking to me about taking some out of my collage account, im not to thrilled, but plan to get a job as soon as i get a car, so i guess i could put more money back into my account when i get a job. The guy who has it is great and has a 2004 Lightning, and i think will get a 3rd gen one, only problem with him is that he keeps forgetting my name.

landyacht
09-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the wake-up call, that was some news to me! I was right about the towing capacity at least!

Good luck getting the truck, it sounds like it's a decent vehicle. When you get it, i hope to see you around the street racing forums a bit eh?!!

RedLightning
09-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the wake-up call, that was some news to me! I was right about the towing capacity at least!

Good luck getting the truck, it sounds like it's a decent vehicle. When you get it, i hope to see you around the street racing forums a bit eh?!!

Well we somehow got enough money so we can get it. When my dad finally gets ready we are going to call the guy to see if we could come pick it up now, and can't wait to get it, theres a ton of rice just sitting around to get picked on. And ive already got it in my avatar.

RedLightning
09-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Well first im sorry for making alot of posts in a row, but im happy to anounce that it is official, just got it home.

landyacht
09-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Time to activate the riceburner!

:naughty:

Congrats man

RedLightning
09-05-2004, 11:40 PM
well thanks, me and my dad have been cruising around, and ive never seen him so excited, he just floors it. Have not yet gotten it up to 110mph yet(topspeed, darn worktruck suspension).

Trackstar1506
09-06-2004, 01:11 AM
really, only 110? that is suprising. I have a 97 F-150 and I think my odometer is off cuz i have gotten up to 105 and then quit. Ill have to take the GPS with me next time... anyone else have any comments?

George G.
09-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Congrats on the truck! I miss my old 93. It was a sweet truck. Just be prepared for maintenance. And if you visit NLOC, be ready to spend money for mods :naughty: . You may want to go ahead and change the rear diff fluid. While you're in there, inspect the gears. the stock(Eaton i think) differential was a weak unit. There are a couple of "ears" that tend to break off and get chewed up between the ring and pinion. If your speedo needle jumps around at any speed, then you can count on that being the case. Check with Ford also, there was a recall to install a check valve to prevent 1 fuel pump from pumping into the other thus causing a fuel spill condition(would not be a good thing). If the check valve doesn't resolve it, they'll replace both pumps. That was the case with me. There's a ton of info and upgraded parts available for these awesome trucks. Visit NLOC and you won't be dissapointed that you got this truck.

George G.
09-08-2004, 12:06 PM
well thanks, me and my dad have been cruising around, and ive never seen him so excited, he just floors it. Have not yet gotten it up to 110mph yet(topspeed, darn worktruck suspension).

Wait until you take some turns at 80+ MPH. That's when the adrenalyn kicks in as you can only pray your tires don't give out. The truck's steering and suspension is awesome.

Install some KYB shocks, Energy Suspension poly bushings(radius arm, I-beam, front and rear sway bar and end links) and replace your tie rods if they're still factory and you'll be able to feel what that truck is capable of doing.

RedLightning
09-08-2004, 06:58 PM
yea mods for it that I've found are pretty expensive, but oh well.

"If your speedo needle jumps around at any speed"

Yea mine does, good thing i have a dad to pay for anything that needs fixing.

thanks alot for the info. oh yea, do you know of any good companies to get mods from?

George G.
09-09-2004, 08:39 AM
If your needle jumps around, you'll have to replace your sensor located on the driver's front side of the rear diff housing. that's a good indicator that an ear broke off from the clutch unit and got caught between the ring gear and the speedo sensor. You can just replace the rear sensor (not that expensive) but if the fluid's never been changed, chances are the broken metal is still inside. I bought most of my stuff from Summit(shocks, bushings), Moog tie rod assembly and ball joints from O'Reily's. You can also find some vendors on NLOC and also some used stuff that other Gen1 owners are selling. I got a Bassani X-pipe from some one on there. Also, if the right end of the dash rattles and bounces, there's a broken screw mount. Ford sells a kit for like 15 bucks that'll fix that. It's been a while since I sold my Gen1 so I almost forgot everything about it. Check out NLOC, they'll give ya a warm welcome and all the info you'll need.

RedLightning
09-09-2004, 07:00 PM
alright thanks you guys have been a real help.

Add your comment to this topic!