Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jerky transmission and a huge oil puddle in garage ('00 LSE)

Dimitrix
08-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Hey guys,
Ive noticed the Rodeo leaking some oil lately but didnt do anything (my 1st mistake) and the puddle became bigger and bigger with each day. Suddenly, the tranny is all jerky.

When I back out of the driveway, drop it in drive, hit gas and its like im still in neutral. Takes a while for it to kick in. Sometimes Id be driving and when its switching gears, it would take its time and the switch would be jerky and not smooth at all, sometimes even give a kick because RPMs go up.

I also had a weird occurence of gear disconnecting completely while driving. Happened twice while making right hand turns (not sure if that matters or not). But when comign out of the turn, I hit gas to accelerate and it seems like Im in neutral again, RPMs just jump up, engine revs. Then I let go of gas, hit it again and it works.

A friend at work suggests that that puddle is my tranny fluid and the jerkyness is caused by the lack of the fluid in the transmission.

Is this something to take to the dealership or something I can fix myself? And how safe is it driving the car in this condition?

Thanks guys. Any info would help greatly!
Dimitry

P.S. Its automatic transmission, 2000 Rodeo LSE

95.5 Rodeo
08-28-2004, 01:44 PM
If the puddle is red, you are leaking transmission fluid. Personally, I wouldn't drive it until the problem is resolved. Without the proper amount of lube, something could get damaged and end up costing you a large amount of money.

Yours may be the model without a dipstick, if so, look here:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=259535&highlight=transmission

Good luck.

Dale

Dimitrix
08-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Its not red or even redish.. Just dark oil. Once I saw a small area of white.. which confused me..

Well got appointment with Isuzu on Tuesday, we'll see whats going on.

Thanks
Dimitry

95.5 Rodeo
08-29-2004, 12:14 PM
I'm curious to know what they find.

Post again when the repair is complete.

Dale

Dimitrix
09-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Well it apparently was tranny fluid.
They found that the acumulator (spell?) seal went bad and caused the leak. That was replaced under warranty but they recommend tranny fluid flush for $125 which I have no money for right now so I just had them top off the fluids for now.

They also made a huge list of other problems they found like front brake pads are going bad so I had that replaced along with rotors resurfaced for $250. Then they said rear rotors are rusty and pads are going bad also so they wanted to replace both for $280 but yet again no money for that. Also battery is coroded apparently and wanted to take $19.99 for cleaning that out, but Ill look at it when I get it back and see if I can do that myself.

I have a huuuge problem with brake dust on front tires. I guess everyone does but I really hate it. Myabe new brakes + rotors will fix that up a bit.

Also I barely got the truck to the dealer. The transmission was reallllly jerky, it hurt my back driving it when it was shifting at times. Almost stalled 3 times when backing out of the driveway (like RPMs go up then suddenly drop and sounds like itll stall then suddenly comes back to normal).

I really hope that with the new seal and full fluids it'll fix the problem because transmission is not something I want to deal with right now (need car for school).

Dimitry

2eyefishclaw
09-02-2004, 08:51 PM
if you experience this angain later on dont drive it you could kill your transmission they are not nearly as tough as they used to be

Add your comment to this topic!