Adding Transmission Fluid to Oil?

irenekelle
08-27-2004, 02:31 PM
A friend of mine suggested adding transmission fluid to the oil to remedy a slight knocking noise in the engine of my 95 f-250. It's a Marshall 460 with about 15,000 miles on it. Is he crazy, or does this work?

ervinj
08-28-2004, 04:49 AM
Not quite sure I do that. Don't know what will happen to enternal gaskets,O rings. If it's ticking you hear, buy a can of Marvel mystery oil and replace a quart of oil. If it's knocking, I don't think any type of additive will help.

ervinj

xkikbxr
11-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Usually about 1/3 to 1/2 of a quart if tranny fluid will quiet the lifter noise in your engine but if it is knocking like you said the it a rod knock and you probably have a bad bearing.

PigPen5150
11-04-2004, 08:51 PM
I've done it before, but I used it to keep the oil cleaner between service intervals. About 1/2 a quart won't hurt anything.

ModMech
11-05-2004, 11:37 AM
DO NOT add ATF to you engine oil and drive it that way.

Yes, it *CAN* be used to flush an engine, or quiet noisy lifters, but ATF is a piss-poor lubricant for an engine (rods, mains, cam lobes.. all things an AT does not have). You WILL get ecessive wear on these components, I gaurantee it.

If it is a knock, ATF will do nothing for it anyway. If it is a stuck lifter, a better choice is to use a quality synthetic oil like Amsoil. Synthetics are very high detergant oils, but they protect far better than conventional oils, so it would be a win-win situation for you.

Add your comment to this topic!