Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Attaching lights

nmsmith
08-27-2004, 12:37 PM
How exactly do folk go about using white glue to attach lights?

I have painted the back surface silver. The lens is a round clear part which touches the silver only at the rim, and has a narrow hollow in the centre.

Should I apply white glue finely round the edge (which is awkward as the glue is thick and gummy), or fill the hollow too and hope that a 1mm thick application or so will still dry clear?

The lens is 'face down' here, with the hollow pointing upwards.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/502/2168692004_0827_182640-med.jpg

Does anyone ever paint the reverse of lenses silver, instead of painting the back wall? What difference does it make?

Nick

flyonthewall
08-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Apply the glue with a tooth pick to the attaching surface on the lens.

Tikiman
08-27-2004, 01:18 PM
If I were doing that model i wouldn't let the glue anywhere near the lens. I would either put the lens in the hole dry and then glue from the other side, or put the glue in that little square hole and the put then lens in. Using as little glue as possible of course.
In your case it shouldn't do any harm to paint the inside of the lens. I use both methods depending on the way the model is put together.

JTRACING
08-27-2004, 01:21 PM
i use testors clear parts cement, to glue in windows and any other clear parts, it works great and leaves no marks and dries super clear

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/cb1000_f/IMGP4175.jpg

nervestrikes
08-27-2004, 01:23 PM
I would put some white clear glue in the square hole then I would put a dab on the upper rim and that is it. Use the tooth pick like Fly said and use as little as possible, you shouldn't be able to see the glue you used it will be such a small amount. Clear parts always make me nervous when gluing.

nmsmith
08-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks folks. I went with nervestrikes's idea, and it has worked fine!

Thank goodness for nice round lenses to cover up my not-nice not-round hand-painted silver!

I'm pleased to hear that small parts and clear parts give other people the willies too.

~nick

nervestrikes
08-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Glad to hear it worked out, can't wait to see the finished product.

SHIFT_drift
08-27-2004, 05:12 PM
i've used the clear parts cement also, and it does work pretty well...

Add your comment to this topic!