Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Fill

Navy I.C.
08-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Maybe I should have considered the type of music I listen to before I decided to go with no rears. I listen to Hip Hop and R&B and there is plenty of substance in that 125hz - 1khz range.
Even though the undistorted high end of my sub (JL13W7) is around 200hz it's a considerably attenuated 200hz when compared to the meat of my subs range (30hz - 80hz response is basically ruler flat). Don't get me wrong, it's loud and it transitions with the low end of my fronts at the same level, but that's my problem.
I want that midbass area to be even more richer and fuller with more limited duties for each component. So I'm thinking two JL8W7's in the rear deck powered by two JL250/1's. Only critical listening will give me my final settings but I'm thinking as a baseline for the "13's low passed @ 125hz" the "8's bandpassed from 80hz to 500hz" and the "fronts highpassed @ 450hz" all with a 24db slope.
I got a few questions for now that I cannot find answers to, any help will be warmly received...
1). do anyone know if I can run my 8's freeair since I'm only using them for mid duties at higher frequencies?
2). I know the frequency range for the 250/1 goes up to 500hz, but I can't find the upper range of the JL8W7. I'm thinking since that's the recommended sub for that amp, (and they usually mate their products like they're made for each other) maybe that's the upper limit for the sub too, does anyone else agree?
3). I know it's not wild out there, but once i hit the show circuit what are my chances compared to what's out there right now

sr20de4evr
08-26-2004, 02:57 PM
1 - no, with some 8's you can, but not with the w7s
2 - the w7 is a subwoofer, even the 8, it can not play high frequencies like that. It's not a midbass driver and should not be used like one
3 - all depends on the install

as for your frequencies, those are some very bad choices in all the spots. First off the 13w7 should be lowpassed around 60, 80 at the very highest. That sub isn't the greatest at playing high frequencies, it should stick to subbass only. Second, scratch the 8w7 midbass for the reason I listed above, get a real midbass driver, not a small subwoofer. Third, 450hz is much too high to have a crossover point, you're right in the middle of the vocal range where the ears are most sensitive to "impurities". 200-250hz should be the absolute upper limit on having a crossover point, never put one between this and around 2000hz or you're just asking for a screwed up sound.

loismustdie
08-27-2004, 03:47 PM
i say ditch the w7 and go with some idq8's, or some dedicated midbasses, and the jl 250/1 is overpriced imo, go with one amp, its much simpler.......

sr20de4evr
08-27-2004, 04:31 PM
on another note, adire just released some 8" midbass drivers, featuring 12mm xmax and XBL^2. Only $80 a pop, work well IB or in an enclsure, and they can be used effectively up to ~1khz

http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/Koda8PageFrameText.htm

Haibane
08-27-2004, 05:38 PM
noticed this... Chances of them working well... sealed under my driver/passenger seats?

PaulD
08-27-2004, 06:19 PM
I have heard of people putting midbass under the seats ..... I have never actually HEARD it.

navy, do NOT put your midbass behind you unless you are freaking awesome at time delay/ tuning and all that jazz. It looks like I may have found me my new midbass drivers ... I can get the brahma and the midbass drivers in a one-stop shopping thing.

Add your comment to this topic!