Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

78' K5 Blazer Lift Question

2001BlackSES
08-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Right now this Blazer is stock. Has 31" tires. I want to run 38-40" mud tires on it. I know I need to re-gear for this, but my question is how much lift do I need? Can I get away with 8", or do I need more? I don't want to waste money experimenting. I would like to have just enough lift, not to much, not to little for these big mudders. It's already going to be top-heavy as it is. Also, how much will I have to lengthen the drive shafts? Will I have to run a special CV (constant velocity) joint up at the transfer case side of the driveshafts, because of the extreme angles generated by the big lift? I can shim the axles to point up at the transfer case and that takes care of the axle side of the driveshaft. Is there someone out there that know whats up? If so, let it be known, yo.

lil red
09-01-2004, 08:02 PM
First things first, you might want to make sure a 38-40" tire will turn without rubbing. as far as your axle problem, putting a shim in the lift will work just fine thats what i have on my truck. on the lift part for the clearence call around to some auto part dealers. They have books on that stuff well here in Michigan at parts plus we do. GOOD LUCK

2001BlackSES
09-10-2004, 01:16 AM
I'll go with 8" suspension lift, 4:88 gears, 40" mudders, shim the axles towards the T/C as much as I can get away with, lengthen the driveshafts, extend the brake lines, and pray everything holds together. I got a cell phone-the tow truck is just minutes away wherever I go. It's only money, right?

goinbig
09-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Sounds like a good plan. You might have to add a body lift (probably 3") or do some fender trimming as well, but I'm not really sure. I have a '74 3/4 Chevy with 15" of lift and 44" TSL's, and they will still rub the bottom corners of the fenders when off road.

Good Luck

2001BlackSES
09-13-2004, 11:05 AM
I was considering a body lift to help get a little more clearance. Not sure if I want to deal with all the different factors involved in that though. Mostly I worry about the steering column, & tranny shift linkage. I've heard it's really no big deal, so I am am considering it. It's cheap and I think I could get away with 8" susp lift and 3" of body lift and run up to 40's. I'd probably be better off with 38's.

Z3PR
10-23-2004, 12:58 AM
As a full size Blazer owner, I'll recomend contacting www.offroaddesign.com Get the 6" Tuff Country front springs + ORD heavy duty extended shackles. For the rear, get ORD 4" Shackle flip + 3" Tuff Country springs. Too clear 40's, trim the fenders. Full size Blazers look good with trimmed fenders. Check out www.coloradok5.com for more ideas.

Add your comment to this topic!