Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Carpeting and Vinyl Installation

Manchild1957
08-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Hi, just found this site and love it. I am redoing the dash, the doorpanels
and the ceiling in Black and Yellow Vinyl. What is the best glue and does anyone have any tips for installation? What kind of carpeting should I replace the old with? A aftermarket pre-molded carpet or is there a carpet that is easy to install but not as pricey as the molded one?
Thanks in advance.
Manchild1957 77 Chev Blazer

Bobbeo
09-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Don't cut corners on the glue...3m has good glue for about $10 usd and DAP Weldwood has a 'high strength' spray adhesive as well....
Spray both surfaces and wait a few minutes for it to set up and get tacky.

You should start by laying the carpet into position without any glue on it. Make the cuts necessary around the gear shifters, allowing it to settle down into place. Once you see that it's fitting good, then pull back the front 24" or so, spray both surfaces, and let set to get tacky. Then starting in the center, push the carpet back in place around the shifters and the pedals. Press firmly in place after you see it's lined up correctly. Then turn around and work the back half of the carpet in the same way. Finally trim the edges with scissors or a razor knife...scissors are suggested, because you have a little better control I think. Buying the form fitted carpets takes all the work out of the project. You know it's going to fit, if ya got the right one, so the rest is just pushing it into place. If you have trouble with it settling in just right, you can use steam. Steam helps the carpet to stretch.

Add your comment to this topic!