Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Isuzu Tech's/anyone, need thoughts

Ramblin Fever
08-26-2004, 08:33 AM
If y'all remember I've been the one posting about an issue with the truck seemingly like it's not getting enough constant voltage, i.e. brake & battery idiot lights constantly "lightly" lit, volts drop to 11 at the slightest take-off, but only for 2-3 seconds.

Otherwise runs completely normal. Battery and alternator both replaced 3 mnths ago.

Another issue cropped up this morning, now the RrABS and Brake light are on full force, with the battery light just very lightly lit - like it has been for 3 mnths.

Any ideas??

I'm wondering if I have 2 separate issues? Reason I think that, is I've had the RrABS and Brake lights come on a couple times before, both times it was the stupid sensor above the rear axle having been hit by something. So I'm not too alarmed in this new issue.

What I am worried about, is my parents thru the thought out that it could be my Main Computer going out - gosh, I hope not. Wouldn't there be more issue's?

Like I said, truck's running/starting/acting perfectly normal.

2eyefishclaw
08-26-2004, 06:45 PM
sound like two isuues
if you installed an aftermarket alternator get your money back and buy one from isuzu yes it is a bit more expensive but your problem will be gone

bothbrake lights on usually indicates a concern with the rear wheel speed sensor chek it for open or high resistance anything over 25,000 ohms is no good on these vehicles

95.5 Rodeo
08-26-2004, 11:09 PM
FWIW, I also believe you got a bad alternator.

Good luck with your problem, RF.

Dale

Ramblin Fever
08-26-2004, 11:26 PM
sound like two isuues
if you installed an aftermarket alternator get your money back and buy one from isuzu yes it is a bit more expensive but your problem will be gone

bothbrake lights on usually indicates a concern with the rear wheel speed sensor chek it for open or high resistance anything over 25,000 ohms is no good on these vehicles

Sorry, but can you explain this to me, what IS resistance in the sensor world?? I'm guessing the sensors bad, but what or why would it go bad? And is it ok to drive it?

Supposedly the alternator is a rebuilt Isuzu alternator, the same one the dealer carries. Dealer says that Isuzu no longer sales NEW Isuzu alternators.

However, I'm having a diagnostic check on Monday.

How bout Bosch Alternators, are they good??

Thank you greatly for your help

tomlcollins
08-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Hoping it's a bad alternator, but can tell you with 99.9% confidence it's not your computer. No offense to your parents but that is a common diagnosis thrown out when people have no idea what they are talking about...

Did you ever replace those cables/check them for corrosion?

Ramblin Fever
08-27-2004, 10:22 AM
No offense taken.

Believe me, as I'm sure you've encountered yourself, after 7yrs of owning this truck - lots of people through quirky thoughts at me. I think that's just the thing Isuzu draws out of those that don't know what the heck the truck's trying to communicate :cwm27: :cwm27:

I knew in my mind it wasn't the ECU, this thing is just running too damn good to be that.

Yes, positive battery cable was badly corroded, replaced that - OEM dealer only part by the way $73 to be exact!!

Problem still continued though.

I did take the truck to my greatly trusted mechanic, Vern at Parker Imports - was trying not to spend too much money, so I had been holding off going. The problem is as everyone's suspected, faulty alternator - it figures.

Seeing as I can't find anyone in this town that carries a brand-new Isuzu alternator, I had to go with a rebuilt Isuzu alternator, thus leading to this problem.

My mechanic says though that he has the availability of getting new Bosch alternators, which Isuzu's love, from what I hear. He's put in hundreds of them on Rodeo's, Troopers and never a problem.

Funny thing, I can find several places on the internet that sale them, but they say remanufactored - so I may not have a choice but to pay Vern to put a brand-new one in.

I thank you for all your help along this voltage nightmare :banghead:

tomlcollins
08-27-2004, 11:01 AM
i was under the impression you had already gotten the alternator tested, but if that cable was badly corroded, i've seen them do that (alt light slightly on, loss of power under acceleration) firsthand. don't feel too bad about the $75 though, as it definitely didn't hurt you to replace it. glad you got it under control.

95.5 Rodeo
08-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Sorry, but can you explain this to me, what IS resistance in the sensor world??

Electrical resistance-
A material's opposition to the flow of electric current; measured in ohms.

Good to hear you are getting the problem worked out.

Dale

Ramblin Fever
08-28-2004, 09:15 AM
i was under the impression you had already gotten the alternator tested, but if that cable was badly corroded, i've seen them do that (alt light slightly on, loss of power under acceleration) firsthand. don't feel too bad about the $75 though, as it definitely didn't hurt you to replace it. glad you got it under control.

Per the volt meters we have here at the house, the alt checked out fine. But I guess under load it wasn't holding up; Vern said it would for most vehicles, but these darned Isuzu's are picky trucks.

surferfletch
08-28-2004, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=tomlcollins]...but that is a common diagnosis thrown out when people have no idea what they are talking about...[QUOTE]

Heard that twice from a shop that couldn't solve problems in my Jetta and Rodeo.

Add your comment to this topic!