Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no power to starter

vinengel
08-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Need some help here. My starter won't turn over or even click when I turn the key. I pulled the starter yesterday and hooked it up to the battery and it operates fine. Re-installed the starter and it still has no power getting to it from the key.

I also looked in the fuse box and noticed there is a starter relay. I swaped the starter relay for the trailer relay, (same relay) and it made no difference.

Is there another relay? what else could stop power from getting to the starter?
Its a 2000 ram 1500, 318, 4x4 quad cab. No previous problems with the starter, it just wouldn't work yesterday morning. The batter has a full charge, all connections look clean and tight.

All suggestions would be appreciated.

BleedDodge
08-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Ignition switch maybe?

bawana
08-27-2004, 10:51 AM
put muli meter or test light on small wire connected to starter and see if it gets power when key is turned to start.If not check ign module to see if you have power in.does it start if you cross terminals or connect remote starter button to both terminals on starter??

wireless
01-27-2005, 03:47 PM
ok how did you fix it. My 1999 ram quad 1500 is doing the same thing and its driving me nuts, any help please. I have done everything that has been put forth and still nothing, please help

Thanks

put muli meter or test light on small wire connected to starter and see if it gets power when key is turned to start.If not check ign module to see if you have power in.does it start if you cross terminals or connect remote starter button to both terminals on starter??

2000mudder
01-27-2005, 10:01 PM
it my be your starter has a bad spot in it. they will work fine 1000 times & then not work at all.

wireless
01-28-2005, 11:02 AM
well I traced it down to the wire going into the fuse box no power comming pack from the cab of the truck. hooked up a wire to the small black wire going to the starter and when I but power to it with the key on the truck starts and runs great. So now I need to trace out the wires. looking for a book to show me the wiring and tell then I will use a remote starter wire.

Anyone with more help please chime in

Thanks

it my be your starter has a bad spot in it. they will work fine 1000 times & then not work at all.

Add your comment to this topic!