01' Early signs of a failing transmission?

2001BlackSES
08-26-2004, 01:39 AM
How does one know if a tranny in these cars is on it's way to the repair shop? 1st, I just changed the fluid (twice), and filter (twice). I found no signifigant debris in the pan or attached to the magnet in the pan, just a little slug.

My cars transmission, for the most part, shifts just fine. However, occasionally I notice a slight shuddering/slipping feeling @ approx 40-50 mph, while I'm in 3rd, climbing a slight grade. Usually what I do is let up on the gas, give it a second, and re-apply the gas and it's fine. It feels as if it where a manual transmission car and the clutch was slipping. I get some surging, especially when I'm @ idle, in a parking lot cruising for a parking spot, for example. I think this is more engine than tranny, but I'm not certain. How does one know when the tranny is about to let loose on one of these Autos? All I know is I'm saving my money right now for a new transmission. Can anyone put my mind at ease about this? :banghead:

sahib
08-26-2004, 07:08 AM
Did you replace with the correct fluid, Mercon V, I believe? These tranny's are controlled electronically so you may want to check the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor) and the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) out before jumping to conclusions. Are you getting a Check Engine light? If so, check for codes and go from there.

2001BlackSES
08-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Yep, used Mercon V, and was very careful fill it to correct level after warmed up. No check engine light, no codes. I haven't had the TRS, or the VSS checked, but thanks for the tip.

CraigDieter
09-10-2004, 09:00 AM
You may if fact have a slipping clutch. I believe that your trans has a clutch that locks up the torque converter. It is hydraulically actuated and could be not fully actuating (and therefore not locking up). I am going from memory so I could be wrong. I believe that the shop manual has a diagnostic flow chart for that problem.
I strongly advise NOT going to AAMCO. My experiences with them have been horrible.

Craig D.

2001BlackSES
09-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info. Since I posted this thread the transmission hasn't acted up at all. I guess it just took a little while for the fresh fluid to get everywhere it needed to. I plan on changing the fluid again here soon just to get even more fresh fluid in there. The car had 55,000 miles on it when I initially changed the fluid and you could tell it was the origional fluid, very dirty. I hope it continues to operate smoothly.

96gl
09-12-2004, 01:48 AM
i recently had trouble with my transmission. i ended up having a sensor replaced. i can't remember which one. so i suggest getting them checked out before thinking rebuilt. but i "STRONGLY" suggest you keep the transmission fund. these cars are notorious for having bad trany's. most likely sooner or later you're going to have transmission problems. i honestly have not met one person who owns a taurus and has not had transmission problems.

pdowg881
07-16-2005, 03:45 PM
I haven't.

buzzbomb1
07-17-2005, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=pdowg881]I haven't.[/QUOTE
Haven't met you though!
Mine surges when first started, new speed sensor on the tranny stopped the slipping (it took all darn day yesterday). It's still leaking from somewhere (cv?) but not too worried. The speedo started chirping though and I'd like to get that fixed before taking the next long trip. That shuddering sounds similar to what used to happen to mine but didn't this morning so it must have been the sensor. My check engine light keeps going off and on but at least now the cruise is working again! I used to work with a guy that used to work at AAMCO and he said it stands for "All Automatics Must Come Out". :frown:

hughw
07-18-2005, 05:19 PM
(2000 ses).....I was feeling what I thought was clutch slippage
too....but not enough to consider the shop .....In the mean time
I changed plugs and plug wires because they were due...and a side effect was no "slippage feeling" since. G'luck

Add your comment to this topic!