Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air Conditioner Problem

drmattdogg
08-25-2004, 11:54 PM
well here is what has been happening lately. i turn on my air conditioner, or heater for that matter, and the air will only come out of the defrost. I put it on panel, max ac, floor, anything, nothing but defrost. I finally get that fixed and they says its a door flap that came loose or something. anyways a month later, same thing. Again i go to have it fix. Ok two weeks later, it happens again. Now im starting to get pissed, do you guys have any idea whats going on or if i can fix this on my own. A friend of mine assures me its a vacuum leak, id just like another opinion.

thanks.

GTP Dad
08-26-2004, 05:37 AM
It sounds like a vacuum leak to me too. Check the control on the dash. There is a vacuum controller behind the knob that sends a vacuum signal to the door to adjust it for where you want the air to go. This could have gone bad or the lines have broken.

drmattdogg
08-27-2004, 12:41 AM
ok thanks, ill look into that. is this something easy to fix?

beyondloadedSE
08-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Look up underneath the drivers footwell above the gas pedal. Above it should be a shiny aluminum ball looking object with a red and a green vacuum lines coming out it if i remember correctly. One of them has probably fallen off. Its a common problem. Put it back on and your good to go.

drmattdogg
08-31-2004, 02:06 PM
ok i checked the lines and they seem to be in place.

drmattdogg
09-13-2004, 04:32 PM
i tried consulting my haynes manual and unfortunately it says nothing about air conditioning problems and the diagrams arnt too specific. i figure ill just take the damn thing to a shop again and ask them what they did this time when they fix it.

beyondloadedSE
09-13-2004, 05:52 PM
take it to the dealership. there was a recall on this.

drmattdogg
10-20-2004, 04:05 PM
ok well i took it to the dealership and all they had as far as recalls were a recall on the heater/blower switch was wasnt the problem. i took it to a shop and had them go over what was wrong with me. i guess there is a connection to the air conditioning which is above the gas pedal (not the little silver thing). they say that there may be a wear spot and this is the reason that it keeps coming loose. so anyways problem fixed and i know how to repair it in the future. thanks for all the help.

Add your comment to this topic!