Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

amplifier installation trouble

alphalanos
08-25-2004, 08:54 PM
I have a 96 civic LX. i tried to hook an Alpine T130 2ch amp to two Alpine type S 6.5's, but I cant get it to work. The amp gets power, but there is no sound. I think the problem is that i hooked the speaker wires from the amp into the harness wires, instead of going directly to the speaker. RCA's are connected, REM is connected, and power and GND are connected. getting the wire to the speakers looks extremely difficult, is that the only way it will work?

This is how i have it hooked up, with the speaker wires from the amp going into the wires right before the vehicles harness.http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/481000-481999/481013_46_full.jpg

b16a3sol
08-26-2004, 12:24 AM
connect the rca's from the deck to the amp, then the output wires from the amp directly to the speakers. the easiest way to do this is to run wire from the amp back to the deck, and use the speaker wire from the deck to carry the signal the rest of the way. the only way to get this to work, though, is to cut the connection from the deck to the speakers, and replace it with the new wire from the amp. you are trying to run current in those wires in too many directions at once, and so you get nothing.

the ideal way to wire it, is to run brand new, larger wire from the amp to all the speakers. this is a bit time consuming, but is well worth it. rather than using the hair-thin wire that comes stock with the car, you are allowing the higher amperage, and clearer sounding wire to make it all the way to the speaker.

Navy I.C.
08-26-2004, 02:43 PM
you got your amp's speaker wires connected to your speaker outs off of your deck right? you did cut the connection from your Hu first right?

4drMadness
08-28-2004, 10:39 PM
yeah you run your wiring from the speakers to your amp...only use the wires in the harness from the HU if you are using your stock speakers..
good luck hope you haven't messed up anything...

alphalanos
08-28-2004, 11:21 PM
yeah i disconnected the HU wires first. the fuse was blown afterwards so ill have to take more of the dashboard apart and run the wires properly. anyway i just replaced the fuse and im running the speakers off of my HU for now.

Navy I.C.
08-29-2004, 10:50 AM
that power light on the amp means it's getting input power, try using a multimeter set to AC Voltage to make sure you're getting output power...

Add your comment to this topic!