Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

PLease help, 98 dodge waterpump?

chubbysdad
08-25-2004, 08:13 PM
Just got home and antifreeze is pouring out from front center of motor. Right behind the belt.I will go out in morning to look but I think the water pump bit the dust. Something was noisy up there right before this happened. No pressure in the top radiator hose either.
Are they are to change on a 98 ram 318? Never did one but do some of my work myself.

BleedDodge
08-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Not hard, you just need to put aside some time to do it...

hundahunta
08-26-2004, 12:10 AM
they are easy to change. I would also recommend to change the thermostat gasket, they always leak.

chubbysdad
08-26-2004, 06:05 AM
Got the belt and water pump out. Do I need a puller or something to get off fan and housing?

hundahunta
08-26-2004, 11:20 PM
there is a special tool for the fan, but since you are not going to keep the waterpump I would put it in a vice and clamp the impeller side to keep it from spinning and use a lrg adjustable wrench!! good luck!

chubbysdad
08-27-2004, 05:18 AM
well I lucked out. I took the fan and water pump as one to the local dodge dealer and said I cant get it off. He said no problem what you have to do is give the nut a shot with an impact hammer or air hammer counter clockwise and it will come right off. So he did it and handed me back both parts. My water pump had over 1/4 inch of play in the pulley so it was shot. thanks for you help

Add your comment to this topic!