Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is my 96 SL-2 really near death?

MisterTea
08-25-2004, 01:12 PM
I own a 1996 Saturn SL-2 with 132,000 miles that I bought 2-3 years ago. The car had 97,000 miles when I purchased it.

My service engine light started flashing on the way home from work. After checking the owners manual and this forum, I immediately took the car to the mechanic. The car was running extremely rough.

He was getting multiple codes and the computer had shut down to safe mode. Today, he said that there were 2 MAP codes, an EGR code, a failed #2 cylinder and possibly other codes.

He said that possibly the best solution was a remanufactured engine (about $2800). He told me that once he got in to fix cylinder # 2, there could be other problems that, in the end, might cost more or about the same as the new engine.

My current bill is $140 for the diagnostics. One month ago I spent $780 for a new radiator, fan motor, belt tensioner and injector cleaning. I really don't want to put a significant amount of additional money into this car.

My question is: Is the mechanic giving me the straight and narrow or do I need a second opinion?

sierrap615
08-25-2004, 11:59 PM
i'm hesitent to trust a mechanic who suggest replacing the engine for a rough idle without any other options.

by those codes, i'm guessing you burn lots of oil?

by the little info you gave(you wouldn't happen to have the exact code numbers do you?) i will guess two possiblitys:
1. one or more sensors somehow have been disconnected(safe or 'limp' mode is usilly caused by multipile sensor failures).
2. the intake manifold and engine is covered with carbon build-up(one source of carbon is oil).

theory one is testable with a multimeter, theory two can be tested by removing the intake tube and checking for build-up. if number two is the problem, $5-10 may fix the problem.

also have you ever replaced the ECT sensor or the PCV valve? replaced the plugs lately? do you own a multimeter?

Add your comment to this topic!