Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Tacoma 2.4L hesitation - HELP

new2taco
08-25-2004, 12:19 PM
I'm new to this forum and new to the Tacoma world! I just picked up a 95 Tacoma w/ the 2.4L. It only has 107K miles and was well maintained until about a yr ago.

Under normal driving scenarios (I'm pretty easy on it) it runs fine, although the exhaust is a bit loud. However, when I flutter the gas pedal, there is a lot of hesitation and the engine even sounds like it might cut out. One other thing that has only happened a couple times is that when I am accelerating quickly, there is what sounds like a short backfire when shifting between gears.

I changed the plugs and wires, but the long hesitation when fluttering the gas is still there. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to make it more responsive?

Brian R.
08-25-2004, 12:45 PM
One thing to try as a cheap fix - Clean your throttle body.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/30_V6/throttle_body/

new2taco
08-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks... I'll try that next.

new2taco
09-08-2004, 07:57 AM
OK. I cleaned the throttle body (or what I could get to) and it didn't seem to make any difference. I also cleaned the MAF sensor with some electrical contact cleaner. The air filter looks a little dirty, but I've seen a lot worse. I took the filter out and ran it in my driveway to see if it made any difference and it did not.

I'm wondering if it could be the TPS or maybe a timing issue. I also have an exhaust leak from somewhere up front which may be the "slight backfire" I'm hearing. Basically, there are two symptoms...

1. When I'm idling and in neutral and just hit the gas, it get's bogged down and takes a second to recover.

2. When up shifting, there will sometimes be a faint "backfire" sound. This also occurrs if I'm in a lower gear and holding a constant spead at slightly higher RPMs (I'm guessing somewhere around 3500 since no tach on this one).

Any thoughts???

96tacoma
09-11-2004, 12:11 AM
I Have Notice That My Tacoma(96) Tends To Run A Little Rich. Epa Bull#$#$! The Least Expensive Way Is To Trick Your Iat(intake-air-temp. Sensor) Into Telling The Ecu That The Air Temp Is Cooler Than It Actually Is, Thus Leaning Out The Air/fuel Mixture. It Should Make Your Truck More Responsive. It Won't Hurt The Engine Because The O2 Sensor Isnt Affected By This Mod, Therefore Keeping The Ecu Pumping Out Enough Fuel To Keep Your Pistons From Becoming Ash Trays (or Paper Weights, If You Don't Smoke). These Mods Are Available Everywhere! Some Of Them Are Nothing More Than A 15 Cent Resistor That Sells For 10 Bucks And Some Are The Same Thing Encased In A Plastic Box That Sell For 45 Dollars. Basically, Caveat Emptor(buyer Be Ware). Take A Good Look At What Your Buying And Do Your Research! It Does Do Wonders For The Price! (as Long As You Dont Spend More Than 15 Bucks!)

Brian R.
09-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Check your distributor cap and rotor.
Check your fuel supply (flow and pressure - pump and regulator and filter)
Check your timing
Try running some injector cleaner through your system from a full tank of gas. Chevron Techron or equivalent works pretty good for some.

Any "Check Engine" light on?

If you have time on your hands, check your cam timing. See if the chain has stretched.

Add your comment to this topic!