Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

dual voice coil question

evilbeef
08-25-2004, 11:50 AM
My subs have 4 conectors and 2 have wires that go to the back of the box and the other 2 just have wires coming out of the sub should i use this for something?

sr20de4evr
08-25-2004, 03:40 PM
could you be a little more specific about what terminals have wires coming from them and where those extra 2 go?

evilbeef
08-29-2004, 04:16 PM
T wires come out of the sub and go to 2 gold push connectors. Thats where the wires that go to the back of the box go. There same connections are on the opposite side of the sub and 2 wires come out of the sub to the connectors but thats it they dont have wires going back to the the back of the box like the other one. They are dual voice coil subs whatever that means.

sr20de4evr
08-29-2004, 04:48 PM
ah alright, so it's a dual voice coil sub but you only have one coil hooked up. Nothing is really wrong with this, but you have to keep in mind, when you're only using one coil the thermal power handling of the sub is cut in half. In other words, if you have a 400rms sub, it's now a 200rms sub.

If you could give more details about what the impedance of each coil is and what amp you're using, I could help you wire it up the rest of the way so you can use the sub to its full potential.

evilbeef
08-30-2004, 02:09 PM
I think i got it. There is 2 conectors on the back and 2 on the front so i connected both positives and both negatives. Then i ran the positive from the front to the box and the negative from the back one. I have 2 speakers both hooked up like that, but someone said something about running both speakers together but i dotn konw anything about doint that.

sr20de4evr
08-30-2004, 03:21 PM
I have no idea what you just described

Navy I.C.
08-30-2004, 07:06 PM
My subs have 4 conectors and 2 have wires that go to the back of the box and the other 2 just have wires coming out of the sub should i use this for something?

maybe these links will help also:
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/dvc/howWired.html
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/dvc/power.html

Add your comment to this topic!