Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clutch Problems? Please Help!!!

RX7gen2
08-24-2004, 12:25 AM
Hi all RX7 fans and tech guru's! I hope someone on here can help with a problem that I have with my 1987 RX7 5 speed. I was driving through my neighborhood a few days ago and all of a sudden I had no clutch! I can push it right to the floor and nothing! Cant get it into gear! I looked under the hood and noticed that the fluid in the resovoir was half full. I added more and still nothing. I was told that it may be the clutch master cylinder or the clutch, well no kidding but I would like to know from someone out there if this has happend to you? Is there a way of telling for sure if the clutch is gone? Is there a way to tell if it is a hydraulic problem? Before I have the car towed to the nearest Mazda dealer I need input from fellow RX7 owners. Thanks to all!

J-Rat
08-24-2004, 04:38 AM
Oh man, this has happened to me a few times. Its probably either your master or slave cylinder. Our clutch hydraulics are notoriously prone to failure.

ShortyDTP
08-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Yes I has to be you master or slave cylinder , It happen to me before too.. :)

Soyo
08-24-2004, 05:34 PM
our clutches just suck in general haha

RX7gen2
08-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks to all for the info. I will now search for the part and try to do this myself. The dealer wants about $600 for this job. It would have been cheaper to install a new clutch! Wish me luck guys!

rotaryismychoice
09-03-2004, 11:02 AM
you can get a clutch slave rebuild kit from places like autozone or even discount aut parts. it's VERY inexpensive and it's not a tuff task. if it is indeed the slave, then when you take it apart there will be fluid past the rubber grommet in the slave and the grommet will be pretty well fouled. after replacing all the internals of the slave with the rebuild kit, and if it still doesn't work, you may have some investigating to do on the clutch unit as a whole. wheather it may be the pressure plate and t/o bearing or the disk itself. either way, its not a terrible situation, i got a new 4 puck race disk for my centerforce DF and rebuilt the slave for under 115 bucks, but i also did all the work my self. repair the slave and then go from there. good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!