Page updated on 12-13-2017

HELP:Windshield

Zturbo
08-23-2004, 12:04 AM
I'm builaing a merc s600amg.But the windshield crack and bend out of shape. is there any way I can fix this or cover it up.Will be great if anyone can help me.

Verminator
08-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Where is the crack and how big is it?

vwman
08-23-2004, 08:27 AM
You could tint the windows so you cant see the crack :rolleyes:

willimo
08-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Unfortunately, you may have to make a new one. You can get clear styrene rather easily. Make a template with masking tape over the old part, place it on quite thin clear styrene, and cut it out. Carefully use epoxy to hold the new one in place, the epoxy needed to hold the complex curved shape, and care needed to not smear the epoxy around. That may be the best solution....

DSM-Mark
08-23-2004, 04:17 PM
I have heard of another solution, but have not tried it. You'll need clear nailpolish and vaseline. First coat the window in vaseline and then apply the nailpolish in coats over the window. Apply coats and coats and coats of the stuff. When you are done, the vaseline should allow the nailpolish to peel off. I would think this would work even better if you worked with a negative of the window. But, like I said, I haven't actually done this.

Another solution is to replace the window.

Tikiman
08-23-2004, 04:53 PM
That sounds like a brilliant idea, as long as the vaseline stays on. Would be interesting to try but i hope i never have to.

SchuberT
08-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Hmmm, you could try putting liquid glue on the crack, letting it dry, then polishing the windshield out...... BTW, I haven't tried this, so attempt at your own risk.

minniebanister
08-23-2004, 05:20 PM
the windshield crack and bend out of shape.

So you have TWO problems?

1. Windshield cracked.
2. Windshield bent out of shape.

But you don't say how bad either problem is.

Zturbo
08-25-2004, 12:06 PM
So you have TWO problems?

1. Windshield cracked.
2. Windshield bent out of shape.

But you don't say how bad either problem is.

It's bad,really BAD.. the windshild bent because i accidently left it under hot sun and it crack after I try push it back to place. :banghead:

DSM-Mark
08-25-2004, 04:13 PM
That nailpolish windshield would be pretty pliable, I would think (meaning you could bend it to whatever shape you need). But it sounds to me like you should try to replace the window. If it's a Tamiya kit, you may be able to get the parts tree from the manufacturer.

Zturbo
08-25-2004, 10:36 PM
how could I get a part tree

mike united
08-25-2004, 10:47 PM
how could I get a part tree
Check the numbering of those parts (windows) on the back of the instruction sheet & order through HLJ or desired website.
I have my doubts you'll get one though as its quite an old kit, could be wrong though & hope you manage to get one. Im doing that kit too at the moment, checked my glass bits now, seem to be ok. Good luck..............

Later, Mike :sunglasse

Zturbo
08-26-2004, 03:23 AM
thanks man..I try to order it right now

Add your comment to this topic!