Instaling A Aftermarket Stereo In My 03

YALKIN4
08-22-2004, 11:29 PM
I Was Wondering If Any One Could Tell Me How To Remove The Dash So I Can Install My Stereo System Into My O3 Impala.

bermis519
08-27-2004, 10:49 AM
well here is the thing with aftermarket radios. I was going to put in a cd player into my car. We i took the dash apart and pulled the radio. When i looked at the huge harness going into it, i figured i would go to the audio oulet here and have them do it. Well the radio controls the airbags, lights, all that stuff..they call it data retention(i think). You either have to get a special module to connect to the radio so your car can still interface with it, or you can get a cable and run the old radio to the trunk. I just said the hell with it and went on ebay and bought a factory cd player for 125. Then took it to the dealer and they unlocked it for free. The impala has a nice sound system. I haven't even done any type of upgrading only because it sounds nice...great bass....

if you have any questions email me.....more then happy to help

mike

Samw
09-05-2004, 01:42 PM
My '01 came with the generic GM, AM-FM radio. I located a Delco(GM factory radio) AM-FM, CD, tape player on the internet, and bought it. It plugged in simply, but had to take it to the dealer to "unlock" the radio.
My boss wanted to install a CD player in one of our new '04 Impalas. I did the research. Forget "aftermarket" stereos, unless you run a 15foot cable to the trunk and leave your original radio hooked up, but in the trunk, you will lose all of the programmable functions the radio controls.
Nobody, as of yet, manufactures a plug-and-play "aftermarket" stereo that will allow the body network to work through them. GM has been very "proprietary" about the control module in their radios. Fortunately, the GM radio-stereo is very good, and replacement GM units offer almost everything you could ask for in a stereo.

P.S. I've NEVER seen or heard of the mythical "adapter box" that allows a person to use their own stereo in place of a GM Stereo "uplevel" radio-player. If one does actually exist, it would probably cost more than a factory GM radio, anyway.

TxRodeoclown
09-05-2004, 02:09 PM
O.K. guys I have read all the post on this subject and I am not saying that the info you have recieved is wrong but it isn`t all correct. Some of the data that is in the car does go threw the radio and some shops will tell you that you have to relocate the factory radio somewhere else in the car (a shops way of getting extra money out of you). One thing that you will loose by taking the radio out is door chime it does go threw the factory radio also when your change engine oil comes on without the factory radio installed you will have to go to the quick oil change place in your town and have them turn it off for you. You can get a perifial(sp) adapter from you local stereo shop or on the net. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Jarrett Riggs
M.E.C.P. First Class Installer

db17
09-11-2004, 10:21 PM
The stereos in these cars do indeed control a lot of the computer functions in the car such as low tire pressure and change oil lite, but these are all easily reset with use of the headlight switch and gas pedal. All the info you will need is in your manual. As for the stereo I have completely removed the factory sound system in my car and installed an aftermarket system complete with 3 amps, suwoofers and a dvd player. It took about 15 hours to install and the whole interior was on the floor behind the car but it can be done quite easily if you have any electronic knowledge at all. There is a kit that you can buy for about $20 canadian that allows you to take up the space in the dash that the HUGE factory stereo takes up in the dash. There is also a wiring kit that matches up to the color coding on the aftermarket stereo that just plugs into your factory harness. Any stereo retailer can help you out with that as it is application driven as is the adapter plate for the dash. The harness adapter is about $15 canadian. True the factory system is more than adequate but don't let that stop you from upgrading.

petero
10-01-2004, 06:14 PM
yea i need to know how to remove one too,could someone please tell me how to take the dash apart and (remove)the radio

db17
10-04-2004, 11:06 PM
first you need to take a small flat screwdriver and remove the rubber ring around the ignition cylinder. There is a screw at both ends of the dash under the fuse panel covers, remove both. The rest of the dash just snaps apart with clips. Do Not do this part if it is too cold or you will snap the plastic pieces of the dash.The radio is held in with a couple of screws, simple enough. Good Luck!!!

petero
10-05-2004, 06:27 PM
thats what i was lookin for,thanks

85gp4
03-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Since I just took apart the dash in a 04 Impala yesterday, I thought that I would update the instructions.
1. Remove the plastic rim around the key slot.
2. Take off the two fuse covers; there is a screw on each side of the dash that needs to be removed.
3. There are also 2 screws in the gauge area, that screw up into the dash; Remove these 2 screws.
4. There is a lower cover that needs to be removed; held in with a screw. The cover is on the drivers side, underneath the steering wheel. Be careful removing this lower cover, to avoid breaking the thin plastic that retains the clip. Once you have the lower cover off, you will see (i think 2) screws that need to be removed. These screw hold the main dash in place.
5. Now that you have all the screws removed, the dash will pull off.
6. My car has the shifter on the collumn. To make removing the dash easier, I turned the key on and put the shifter all the way down. It's nearly impossible to remove the dash with the car in park.
7. Once the dash is removed, the radio is held in place by 3 screws.

Just take your time, it's not hard.... just time consuming. Good luck!

rtebeau
03-13-2005, 05:14 PM
O.K. guys I have read all the post on this subject and I am not saying that the info you have recieved is wrong but it isn`t all correct. Some of the data that is in the car does go threw the radio and some shops will tell you that you have to relocate the factory radio somewhere else in the car (a shops way of getting extra money out of you). One thing that you will loose by taking the radio out is door chime it does go threw the factory radio also when your change engine oil comes on without the factory radio installed you will have to go to the quick oil change place in your town and have them turn it off for you. You can get a perifial(sp) adapter from you local stereo shop or on the net. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Jarrett Riggs
M.E.C.P. First Class Installer

He is right, I lost my door chime when I had aftermarket XM installed in my car. I am not sure about the oil change light but I will check on it now!! With all the other problems I have had this is just one to add.

2002 Impala, 3.4L
3/13/05 @ 55.5k miles
9 registered trips to 4 dealers in Central PA - still looking for a good one!!

1. Intake gasket @ 52k - thanks dexcool, $800+
2. Brakes @ ~10k, 15k, 25k, 40k, 50k - warping rotors - $250-350/each time. - had problems all the time, finally the rears were done this last time seems to have fixed the shimmy/vibration when braking lightly at high speeds, I am sure it will return. Front rotors have been turned 3 times now, replacement next.
3. Rear Doors hard to open - still an issue, someone suggested lubing the door seals. Seems the handles are hard to grab.
4. Steering shaft - $220 (twice)
5. I had to replace some steering boots - clunking when turning at low speed (driveways, stop and turns)
6. Ignition switch @ 11k
7. And other parts I am sure I missed.

I have not had any tranny issues yet and the car seems to have enough power for me, that will be about the time I am looking for a new car.

Pros
- I do like the ride, very comfortable
- Cool styling

Cons
- Repairs, Repairs and more repairs.

MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
03-13-2005, 09:08 PM
try http://www.impalahq.com that site has it all

YALKIN4
05-15-2005, 02:05 AM
thanks

dmorlow
05-22-2005, 10:09 PM
I just had an aftermarket radio installed in my 2004 Impala. I had the shop that installed it just remove the factory radio completely. I didn't want to deal with having the factory radio installed in the trunk. The only thing I can see the factory radio is good for is resetting the oil and tire monitor. And both of those, you can reset by pushing the gas pedal or the brake pedal (5 times I think and I forget which one is which) while you just have the ignition on without the car started. So I just have mine competely out now. And the shop installed some kind of add on to give me the door chimes. If you take out the factory radio you loose that so they put one in but it isn't the same. It sounds a little "cheasier" than the factory chime did but I still have the chimes.

Add your comment to this topic!