Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

painting smooth with brushes

donaldpla
08-22-2004, 07:43 PM
I been using testors paints. No matter how much i sand, my next coat of paint still comes out rough and uneven. What can I do to make this better. This is when I am detailing an interior or something.

freakray
08-22-2004, 07:55 PM
I been using testors paints. No matter how much i sand, my next coat of paint still comes out rough and uneven. What can I do to make this better. This is when I am detailing an interior or something.

Smooth paint when brush painting is something that is a near physical impossibility unless you have patience and practice.

One thing to do is keep in mind that paint's ability to flow dictates how much it will even out to prevent rough finishes, one way to make certain it flows is to thin the paint to around the consistency of cooking oil when you're brush painting.

Macdaddy4738
08-22-2004, 08:23 PM
try adding a retarder to the paint. It will stop the paint from drying to fast and make brush strokes less "seeable" (help me think of a word here guys :grinyes: )

supratuner
08-22-2004, 08:26 PM
hahahaha thats funny andrew tho i cant think of a word

tho on the paint, just buy some can paint from Walmart in the automotive section, it made by Plastikote, and will say some thing about SUVs and Trucks on it, buy a can of that, and clear kote, also follow any directions it might say on the can, or check the FAQ on here

thats teh best bang per buck

dyowelb
08-22-2004, 09:43 PM
thin you paint than you would normally do. apply coats. i used to handbrush my (mecha) model kit and they look
fine (nto as great compare to airbrush though)

thanks,
d

iceblend
08-23-2004, 12:52 AM
try adding a retarder to the paint. It will stop the paint from drying to fast and make brush strokes less "seeable" (help me think of a word here guys :grinyes: )

What about the word "visible"? :p

A suggestion would be to have a coat of primer for painting larger surface with brush, or maybe switch to another brand of enamel paint...i have had good result with tamiya's.

Add your comment to this topic!