Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stripping tamiya laquer

carnut04
08-21-2004, 10:52 PM
i used csc to strip the tamiya laquer, and i soaked the body for about a week but barely anything came off. i was wondering if there i was anything i could use to strip it.
Thanks

freelunch
08-21-2004, 11:00 PM
Use Easy-Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner. Just spray it thoroughly and place the painted part in a covered container overnight. Scrub with a paintbrush to remove the paint. If anythings left over, just rinse with water and repeat.

Use gloves BTW, and do it outside cuz easy off fumes seem to enjoy devouring mucous membranes.

JTRACING
08-21-2004, 11:02 PM
stripping any laquer is a real pain in the a$$, it the hardest paint to strip. i use brake fluid, and let it sit in a tub of it for a few days, and then scrub it with brush, and it comes off.

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Why is everyone still resorting to chemical warfare? :sly:

Go to the pharmacy part of the store (drug store, Wal Mart, whatever), pick some 91% (or sometimes 99%) Isopropyl Rubbing alcohol. Only 78 cents a bottle at Wal Mart. Get four or five bottles.

It will strip lacquers and enamels and acrylics. And it's far safer than CSC, oven cleaner, brake fluid...whatever. Put it in a sealed container, as it evaporates quickly. It takes a bit longer to get primer, but it will. :smile:

Results vary, but some have reported paint sheeting off in half an hour, tough jobs might go overnight.

freelunch
08-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about isopropyl alcohol! I tried doing an acrylic wash with alcohol as thinner and ripped up my paintjob :mad:

MPWR
08-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Why is everyone still resorting to chemical warfare? :sly:

Go to the pharmacy part of the store (drug store, Wal Mart, whatever), pick some 91% (or sometimes 99%) Isopropyl Rubbing alcohol. Only 78 cents a bottle at Wal Mart. Get four or five bottles.

It will strip lacquers and enamels and acrylics. And it's far safer than CSC, oven cleaner, brake fluid...whatever. Put it in a sealed container, as it evaporates quickly. It takes a bit longer to get primer, but it will. :smile:

Results vary, but some have reported paint sheeting off in half an hour, tough jobs might go overnight.

I cannot agree more. 91/99% ispropyl is the only way I strip laquers. sometimes it takes a bit of scrubbing with a toothbrush, but it will most definately strip Tamiya laquers- primer too, down to the plastic.

And I don't have to worry about poisoning myself!

bvia
08-22-2004, 07:30 PM
I cannot agree more. 91/99% ispropyl is the only way I strip laquers. sometimes it takes a bit of scrubbing with a toothbrush, but it will most definately strip Tamiya laquers- primer too, down to the plastic.

And I don't have to worry about poisoning myself!

IPA IS poison..so don't go trying to lick the paint off and don;t use your regular toothbrush either... :evillol:

Otherwise...thanks for the tips on the IPA guys! I'm afraid it'll come in handy...

ImolaEK
11-05-2004, 01:19 PM
I apologize for bringing up an old thread. But im debating on wether using DOT3 or Isopropyl Alcohol. Will this alcohol damage paint or leave any non friendly substances on the plastic? Is it easier to use than DOT3/DOT4?

Thanks!

PS: Will this strip Dupli Color Automotive Paints?

ImolaEK
11-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Will this one work for my Dupli Color paints. Its 70%, should i buy the 90% or keep this?

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/73957DSC08623.JPG

CADguy
11-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Will this one work for my Dupli Color paints. Its 70%, should i buy the 90% or keep this?

The 70% stuff will work, it just may require more soak time than the 90% stuff. Make sure you soak it in a container with a lid! Or you will come back in an hour with 1/2 the liquid you originally had and a room full of alcohol vapor. (and of course I'm not speaking from experience here :) )

At $1 or less per bottle, you may want to get the 90% next time..
The 90% stuff works well for thinning Tamiya acrylics for airbrushing too.
It's all I ever use..

ImolaEK
11-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Like this?

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/73957DSC08626.JPG

91% Isopropyl Alcohol...Didn't say Rubbing but im guessing thats just an extra word. Fill the container all the way?

ImolaEK
11-06-2004, 12:20 AM
Ok so its stripping very slowly. Its been 7 hours and the thing still has some spots where the paint is strong. Will DOT3/DOT4 be faster? Because this is taking forever and ever :naughty:

ImolaEK
11-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Well to test the speeds of which dissolved the paint quicker i bought some DOT3 Brake fluid and placed another model in there. So far the DOT3 is working quicker.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNjM2Nzc1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNjM2Nzc2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

SteveK2003
11-07-2004, 04:56 PM
I haven't used isopropyl alcohol but I have used brake fluid on enamel and acrylic, and it worked well on both. But it smells horrible and is probably a lot worse for you than alcohol is.

If alcohol really works for stripping paint, I will definitely make the switch, just to not have to deal with all that chemical mess. Plus I can just let it evaporate when it's used up, instead of having to properly dispose of brake fluid.

Whichever you use, give it time to work on the paint: The longer it sits, the more is disolves, and the less work you have to do to clean it up.

If you do use brake fluid, keep it in an air-tight container: Leaving it open will weaken it's stripping ability, and it gets weaker over time even if you only open it to access your parts.

Add your comment to this topic!