Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP! 99 ram wont run right

beaker01
08-21-2004, 10:47 PM
ram 1500 2wd auto. I read quite a few messages about the arcing of wires. i replaced them when the truck started not having any power and spit and sputtered. It happened after an accident when i got hit in drivers door. The ins company took back in and said was not related and the dodge shop said it had "multiple misfires" and proceded to say it was plugs n wires. i put them on, still runs horribly, give it gas and spits n sputters. Did make sure they werent touching for arcing as i read here. Now im lost as to what the heck it could be. I dont have the money right now to go out and buy parts wrecklessly or have a shop take it in. This truck has 58000 miles on it too. Could it be fuel filter? Distributor?

beaker01
08-21-2004, 10:59 PM
another ? i looked up firing order on autozone.com, i found 18436572 like everyone says here, but, what got me confused is the diagram for the #s, they dont match at all the way my wires were on. know any other place to find this diagram? i wouldnt think these were put on wrong and all of a sudden not run right. Am i reading them wrong for what wire coming from dist. to plugs? i try matching em but dont look the same at all.

BleedDodge
08-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Well it's not like someone went and re-arranged all the wires to different spark plugs after you had the crash, right? Did you have someone tow it to a place where it could have been tampered with? Something doesn't sound right here...

Is the check engine light on? Must be...

beaker01
08-28-2004, 01:13 PM
Well yes it was towed in, but doubt about tampering. I eliminated that when i replaced dist cap and roter and reran them to firing order. So now i checked out the fuel pressure thinking maybe its the pump but no avail as the pressure reads 50 psi all time. So my last thoery could be maybe one of these other recalls on this this truck which there are many, could be it. So far no shop will touch this truck unless i pay for the all repairs up front and figure out if its related to the accident, cause they dont want to get involved with the ins company. I was also asked if any of these recall repairs were done on this truck for which i dont know since i bought it used. Anybody know how can i find that out?

badthumper
08-30-2004, 08:21 AM
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl654h.htm this is about crossfire ignition induction. might try rerouting your wires as described, has pictures too.. :evillol:

Shakey
09-03-2004, 03:20 PM
I have the solution....BUY A CHEVY

BleedDodge
09-03-2004, 04:20 PM
That's not the solution. A temporary one, maybe.

beaker01
09-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Well i got it fixed. It was actually the cat converter plugged up on me. Thank GOD it was under warranty! Thank you all for your input, oh by the way chevy guy. I did go out and buy a $100 Geo Prizm to get me around for now!!! LOL!

BleedDodge
09-11-2004, 04:42 PM
We figured that out right away on my truck when nothing would come out of the pipes for the few seconds that the motor would run. Not even air movement could be felt. I should have told you to try that. Good to hear that you got the problem solved.

Nice score on the Geo, it will pay for itself in the gas that it saves you after a couple days.

beaker01
09-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Ya well, when a dodge dealer actually tells you its plugs and wires,you go for it! Freekin Auto Zone even told me that might have been the problem too. Oh well, at least its runnin and got some input from yas, I appreciate it. And the Geo i think has paid for itself after a couple weeks! LOL!! TXS

Add your comment to this topic!