Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Canadian Legal Issues

996GT2
02-06-2002, 12:18 AM
I'm sure something similar to this has been posted in the past, but I'm a newcomer to this forum and don't want to dig through all the threads to find it.

I live in Toronto, Ontario and was wondering what kind of aftermarket devices are NOT legal.

For instance, I think that Nitrous systems are illegal but I haven't been told this definitively. What about forced induction...are ALL turbo/supers legal?

Thanks.

SaabJohan
02-06-2002, 07:04 AM
I don't know what laws you got about cars in Canada.

But I know what they say here (in Sweden):
All engines are certified by the manufacturer and this means they must be original. It isn't allowed to change almost anything. But this is only what the laws say, mostly they don't care if you haven't changed to much (what they can see) and the engine passes the exhaust and sound tests.
Nitrous are what I know legal to have (they don't care anyway), turbo or supercharger in a naturally aspiranted isn't allowed.

But of course this rules are diffrent from country to country.

bluetwo
02-06-2002, 10:02 AM
i would think that it would be contingent on emissions and safety standards. in most us states, as long as you don't mess with any emissions control devices and you pass your state's vehicle emissions inspection, you are ok. is there a similar system in canada?

your best bet is to contact an auto mechanic, someone at a respected tuner shop, or the ministry of transportation, or all three and compare notes. i'm sure there are a lot of tuners and clubs you can get in touch with in the toronto area... just do a search on google.

996GT2
02-06-2002, 12:12 PM
I think I'll do that.

Thanks for the input.

Sindie
02-06-2002, 07:10 PM
Forced induction is legal, the only thing is you have to pass emmisions living in TO(where if you lived in a small town then you would not have to worry). Don't forget there are sound regulations though. Nitros is illegal from the stand point that you are not allowed to carry a compressed flamable liquid in a car unless it has been installed with certain standards(no import shops don't meet these standards). Police make concessions for BBQ propane and the like.

The spot in Toronto to watch is Peel region, as they have a task force to cut down on street racing. Also you will be watched closely exiting one the drag strips in the area if you go to any of the races in the summer.

SaabJohan
02-07-2002, 05:42 AM
But nitrous isn't flamable.

Sindie
02-07-2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by SaabJohan
But nitrous isn't flamable.

Sorry, forgot to include explosive.

BeEfCaKe
02-07-2002, 10:06 PM
I live in sauga(Peel Region), have been to a few races up in Brampton area and also RichmondHill. Are there any other races around GTA that u guys go to? I'm kinda new to street racing..

btw, yes Nitrous is illegal in Canada, my buddy got booked just a lil more than a month ago in sauga. He was stopped for speeding, got 8 nitrous tanks under the back seat, n cop searched his car inside out. They took his car now, and he waiting to go to court.
I guess nitrous is just too dangerous for street use, anyone SEEN a nitrous-equipped car go in flames in real life?(not from the movie The Fast and The Furious)

I'm running a '97 Honda HB w/ GSR Engine, HKS Intake & Exhaust. If i rig in enough $$$, might throw in some NoS, even though it not legel here..

SaabJohan
02-08-2002, 09:09 AM
Actually I have never heard about a nitrous equipped streetcar go in to flames.
What can happend is if the tank get hot enough it can blow of the pressure in the tank. The gas itself can't burn or explode but it can deliver extra air to a very hot fire... and of course it's toxic. The nitrous used for this purpose is much stronger than the one used in hospitals.

BeEfCaKe
02-09-2002, 09:24 PM
Nitrous itself is not explosive.. but according from an accurate source, after use, another gas is left in the tank, which is explosive/flammable..

Anyway, can someone tell me about races around my area?? i want to rigg in $$ ^.^

GTStang
02-11-2002, 12:22 AM
I dunno bout what termonology to use wether flammable,explosive... But NO2 is such a power adder cuz NO2 when in the engine breaks down to N-O2, O2 is pure oxygen which is very flammable/explosive whatever the right term is. O2 is a major component of Rocket fuel. So whatever term you want to use i dunno but go ahead and open the valve on a NOS bottle and light a match and say it's not flammable or explosive. I think the reasons it is illegal is beacuase you can't put out burning NO2 with water so you get in an accident and a fire starts and your bottle goes unlike a Dragway they dont have the right equipment. I think also there is HAZMAT laws in gets into too.

BeEfCaKe
02-11-2002, 05:02 PM
First of all, nitrous oxide is N2O, not NO2. Now just think about it, nitrogen and oxygen.. two most abundant gases on earth. If they were explosive/flammable, u think we'd still be alive???

Nitrous Oxide is a non-flammable gas. It does however, decompose exothermically under elevated temperatures, and therefore, an explosive force is produced.

And GTStang, O2 ain't explosive/flammable period. Its oxygen gas dude! It is necessary for combustion, but itself is not explosive/flammable.

V.S.
02-11-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by BeEfCaKe
First of all, nitrous oxide is N2O, not NO2. Now just think about it, nitrogen and oxygen.. two most abundant gases on earth. If they were explosive/flammable, u think we'd still be alive???

Not to say your "wrong", but that bit is misleading. Nitrogen and Oxygen may be two of the most abundant gases on earth, but that says nothing about how safe N2O is. Using your logic, toxic chlorine and dangerous sodium would combine to form man's greatest enemy, TABLE SALT!

bluetwo
02-12-2002, 08:49 AM
Let's play nice...

http://www.cganet.com/N2O/factsht.htm
"While classified by the U. S. Department of Transportation (DOT) as a nonflammable gas, nitrous oxide will support combustion and can detonate at temperatures in excess of 650° C (1202° F)."

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0860183.html
"oxygen supports combustion but does not burn" - So more oxygen does not burn, but creates conditions more conducive to combustion

Legality of N2O:
http://www.streetracing.org/article/nos.php
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43840/article.html

Add your comment to this topic!