94 grand am turn signal not working

swiftfalcon
08-21-2004, 06:01 PM
I have 94 pontiac Grand AM . Turn signals, hazzard lights don't work. Replaced fuses, turn signal flasher. Couldn't find hazzard flasher though. Anyone got any ideas?

okiechik
08-22-2004, 01:06 AM
My 93 Grand Am has the same problem but its only the left turn signal. Replaced fuse and flasher also.If you find the answer let me know...

sc03
08-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Did you check to see if the bulbs are good? If you have a burnt bulb they will not work.

TeamoDave
08-23-2004, 09:42 PM
I've got a 95 Grand Am SE V6. My hazards work fine but turn signals will not flash. The turn signals light up but do not flash. My guess is it's the turn signal flasher, but for the life of me, I cannot find the flasher. Is it under the dash? I've been told it's under there, near the steering column but I haven't found it yet. It doesn't help that I have a tough time fitting under there to look and my hands don't really fit in there to feel around. Am I looking in the right place? Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

brunus76
08-24-2004, 11:20 AM
I have a 2000 Grand Am with a similar problem. My turn signals sometimes work, sometimes don't. (all other lights work fine) Over the course of a one hour drive to or from work, they will stop working and then start again several times. Is this a common problem?

I've checked all the fuses. Everything seems to be in order, but there is obviously a short or a bad connection somewhere.

Gee-SP
08-25-2004, 11:28 AM
I have a 2000 Grand Am with a similar problem. My turn signals sometimes work, sometimes don't. (all other lights work fine) Over the course of a one hour drive to or from work, they will stop working and then start again several times. Is this a common problem?

I've checked all the fuses. Everything seems to be in order, but there is obviously a short or a bad connection somewhere.

I have a 2000 Grand AM GT and I have the same bloody problem...it's esp. great when you're driving on the hwy. A friend had the same thing happen with his Chev corsica and he changed the light bulbs and never had the problem again. Now I've bought the bulbs but have no time to put them in and my signals and lights have been working for the past couple of weeks. Also, just a note, if you signals fail, quickly tap your hazard (push button if you have) twice, somehow this sort of jumpstarts your signals into working
Tammy

swiftfalcon
08-27-2004, 12:39 AM
I've got a 95 Grand Am SE V6. My hazards work fine but turn signals will not flash. The turn signals light up but do not flash. My guess is it's the turn signal flasher, but for the life of me, I cannot find the flasher. Is it under the dash? I've been told it's under there, near the steering column but I haven't found it yet. It doesn't help that I have a tough time fitting under there to look and my hands don't really fit in there to feel around. Am I looking in the right place? Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

My turn signal flasher was near the back side of the fuse box. First I had to take off the panels around and under the stering colum.To find it i had to take of the fog light switch off to see where it was. Then i had to reach up from underneeth and grab it and pull it down. Was pretty hard to get out. Didn't fix my problem though. I took it to a auto electric shop they replaced the turn signal switch and that fixed it. Hope that helps.

richtazz
08-28-2004, 01:10 PM
The turn signal switches are a common problem in these cars. the turn signal handle and hazard light switch are all one unit. If you have a bulb out, the turn signal indicator will flash really fast on the side that the bulb is out. A no flash situation is either a faulty flasher, or the entire switch assembly. On most of these cars, they only have one flasher unit, so if the hazards flash, the problem is the switch

Gee-SP
08-28-2004, 02:08 PM
The turn signal switches are a common problem in these cars. the turn signal handle and hazard light switch are all one unit. If you have a bulb out, the turn signal indicator will flash really fast on the side that the bulb is out. A no flash situation is either a faulty flasher, or the entire switch assembly. On most of these cars, they only have one flasher unit, so if the hazards flash, the problem is the switch

Regarding my 2000 Grand AM GT, when my turn signals don't work (which is not all the time, just here and there), I have no exterior/interior lights yet when I tap my hazards my lights work in and out. My hazards work even when my turn signal switch and lights don't.
Don't feel like taking to GM and having them charge me an arm and a leg as they usually do for simple things. Any advice???

richtazz
08-28-2004, 02:30 PM
your turn signal switch assembly is going bad, replace it and it should fix your problem. The AC Delco part # is d6220c and runs about $85 retail. GM dealer part # is 22676853 and a dealer will charge around $130 for the part. It's a relatively simple swap, and with the help of a repair manual, a decent home mechanic should be able to handle it in less than an hour.

jtls67
10-05-2004, 09:19 PM
The 2000 grand am had a recall for the signal light flasher which is directly behind the emergency flasher switch on the dash. The dealer will fix it for free most likely. The other signal problem on the 2000's is the signal lights randomly going on while driving down the road. This is caused by the signal light switch in the column. the switch is not broken, it just has too much grease inside it which makes a circuit between the switch contacts and causes the signal flasher to go nuts. You can take the swithc apart and clean the contacts and put it back in and save about $350. Email me for details if you need help cleaning the switch. JTLS67@yahoo.com

GASE 95
10-06-2004, 11:20 AM

Dave

you dont hafta remove the bottom plate below the steering wheel. Right below where your left knee is while sitting theres a trap door. Its only as big as about the size of an arm so its a tight squeeze. Assuming you can hear the clicking noise when you ur turn signals are on, turn them on and reach up to just about the top of the fuse box level and feel around until you can find the source of the clicking. Then just pull it straight up to disconnect the mount then it comes down to the trap door where you can take off the flasher from the connector. I just left mine down after i got it out. Hope that helps

Hefeweizen
07-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks a lot GASE 95, for the info, i went to my mechanic and he told me it was under the gas pedal, and i had to remove all the pannels to get to it, i replaced me flasher fuse and my turn singles work but my hazards still dont work, i guess thats pontiac enginering though lol

Add your comment to this topic!