Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Camry needs new engine

elisac
08-21-2004, 01:47 PM
My husband's Camry needs a new engine. Was quoted $3100 including labor for a replacement with 50k miles and 6 mths warranty parts and labor (the old one has 60k miles). Have no idea if this is a good price, and we are floored. The repairman said it could have been caused by overheating (not), or low oil level (was just changed 3 mths ago, and no lights went on). He said the #1 rod went thru. Not sure what that means.

Is this a known problem with the 1999 Camry?

Are there any recalls you know of for this?

If we need to foot the bill, does $3100 sound reasonable?

Thanks for any help you can pass my way.

Elisa

rob3
08-21-2004, 03:37 PM
My husband's Camry needs a new engine. Was quoted $3100 including labor for a replacement with 50k miles and 6 mths warranty parts and labor (the old one has 60k miles). Have no idea if this is a good price, and we are floored. The repairman said it could have been caused by overheating (not), or low oil level (was just changed 3 mths ago, and no lights went on). He said the #1 rod went thru. Not sure what that means.

Elisa

This is very unusual for a Camry. I would think your engine should still be under warranty with Toyota. I would check that first. I would sure get a second opinion and $3100 is way to much. You can get a good engine installed for half that amount.

rob3
08-21-2004, 04:28 PM

Elisa

I found this information 1concerning the 1999 Toyota Camry engines.
If you can blame it on this, Toyota would be obligated for your engine.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?modelid=1564&src=vip

Occasional problems on this vehicle are failures of the Engine, the Charcoal Canister/Evaporative Solenoids and the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Lift Sensor (3.0 L engine only). Failure of the Engine is caused because the engine oil gels. Engine oil gelling will also cause excessive engine oil usage. When proper maintenance schedules for oil changes are followed, oil gelling should not occur. Toyota has issued an 8 year unlimited mileage goodwill repair for this condition. Failure of the Charcoal Canister/ Evaporative Solenoids or the EGR Lift Sensor will cause the check engine light to illuminate. The cost to repair the Engine is estimated at $4500.00 for parts and $1384.50 for labor. The cost to repair the Charcoal Canister/Evaporative Solenoids is estimated at $263.95 for parts and $65.00 for labor. The cost to repair the EGR Lift Sensor is estimated at $33.12 for parts and $65.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

Add your comment to this topic!