Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Questions on custom paint jobs and epoxy

ThatRoundHeadedKid
08-21-2004, 01:20 AM
I have a couple questions on custom made body parts made by epoxy and custom paint jobs. I would like to know what I would need, how I would do it etc.

I know for the paintjob, before you begin you need to use metal stripper to take the original paint off. Next, I would like to know who makes paint for alloy metals, and how I would be able to get that coat on the car just like it came new. I'm guessing air brushes would do the job, since they use the same method for real cars, am I right? PLus from what I read so far, it's just like painting a sheetrock wall, you need primer before you start the actual paint layer.

For the epoxy, I know I could get it at any R/C car or hobby shop around. But what would be the best and the cheapest epoxy out there that is very durable etc.

I would appreciate if these questions could be answered. Thanks. :smile:

Gafoto
08-21-2004, 08:48 AM
You could make parts out of epoxy, but it would be very messy. I use epoxy putty which is still a two part mixture but is more solid (its like working with clay) and thus can be molded for body kits and things. I've gotten mine at wal-mart but I know Tamiya makes some good stuff too.

mike@af
08-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Do not use epoxy. Epoxy is a strong glue, not a putty. You need to use Epoxy Putty.

Alloy like paint; there is a brand called Alclad II. It comes in a bottle and requires that it be airbrushed. However it is a tricky paint to use.

Model painting is NOTHING like paint sheet-rock. Never ever paint large parts (this includes the exterior) with a brush, ever.
First step is to use a primer. I suggest Tamiya Primer.
Second. After letting it dry wetsand the orange peel.

Third, spray the basecoat, then wetsand.

Fourth repeat step three.

Fifth, repeat step three.

Sixth, spray clear coat and wet sand. Repeat as needed.

ThatRoundHeadedKid
08-21-2004, 02:04 PM
:eek2: That sounds like alot to do...

Well, anyways, thanks for yall's help.

btw, what is wetsand? And in what way is the Alclad hard to use? Is there any other paint that is almsot exactly like it but is easier than the Alclad?

Add your comment to this topic!