Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fwd

New2Racing
08-20-2004, 11:45 AM
y do ppl say that u cant use RWD 4 rally racing, i have a 1990 mazda 626 w/ FWD, is this a good choice 4 a rally car?

And i noticed they're all lowered, these r smaller sprins?...is a set of 4 like 300-400$...

psychorallyfreak
08-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Wow. First, I ask you to learn to type. Just to make it an easier read.
Second, RWD is ENTIRELY possible for rallying, and it looks REALLY cool. FWD is good, RWD is good, but the winners are using AWD.
FWD can get you out of trouble easier than in RWD, because if you get the car too sideways in a corner, you can just stomp on the gas, and it'll straighten itself out in FWD, whereas in RWD, if you stomp on the gas, you'll become close friends with the trees.
AWD is the system of choice for rallying if you want to be really competitive.
Now, I DO want to leave the possibility open for a REALLY good driver in F/RWD. It still boils down to the skill level of the driver.

JoonTae
08-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Couldn't have set it better my self. They suggest to start out in FWD with some basic rally.I think the last one was about tires and rims? IUf you're doin this some what hardcore buy some cheap like 15 inch steel rims(like the kind hubcapped wheels have) and some decent tires. Have fun.

RallyRaider
08-28-2004, 04:36 AM
For amateur club rallying RWD is perfectly fine, especially for tarmac. However if you are talking about starting a serious career then you will need to find a way into one of the junior categories (mucho dollars). Mainly for marketing reasons these are mostly FWD and intended as a stepping stone to the ultimate AWD machines used at the top level loose surface rallying.

Oh and if you want to attract those mucho dollars you will need sponsorship. That will require drafting submissions which will need to be written legibly. You may as well start practicing here.

Neutrino
08-30-2004, 07:46 AM
In SCCA pro rally the FWD class cars seem to be quite popular and the group 5 class dominant car (srt4) has been getting quite a bit of press coverage

psychorallyfreak
09-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Group 2 is where all the action is...(not saying that Group 5 is bad...)
There is a class for just about every budget.

Markgase2000
09-29-2004, 10:44 PM
Im into fwd for rally its alot more challenging to me. rwd is ok for street rally but unless you get some really knobby rear tires and good grabby front tires its an even more challenging race. You ever seen the dukes of hazzard? The charger in the show would give you a ruff idea what its like lol I like dirt roads with my car but 4wd is the way to go for rally for sure! Id like to see a 4 door north american v6 rally race that would interest me to see what our domestics can do. Im a big fan of ford focus svt zx3 and bet it would be a good contender against even some 4wd rally cars to bad they dont makem no more :( .

ales
09-30-2004, 01:06 AM
Im a big fan of ford focus svt zx3 and bet it would be a good contender against even some 4wd rally cars to bad they dont makem no more :( .

I'm not sure you quite understand the extent of the advantage that AWD has over 2WD on loose surfaces - it's like day and light; the amount of grip and traction out of the corner is absolutely amazing with AWD when compared to 2WD cars.

Another example of RWD vs FWD. In a lower class of amateur rally in this country there is a guy with an MX-5. 4 events of the season are on gravel, 2 events on tarmac. The MX-5 won both tarmac events (and reasonably comfortably so) but didn't even enter any of the gravel rallies because he thought he wouldn't be able to be anywhere near competitive enough, and I think he knows what he's talking about.

psychorallyfreak
10-05-2004, 11:34 AM
I doubt it. Maybe he's afraid to get his car dirty...
Maybe he wouldn't be competitive enough because of driver skill and not the car....

RallyRaider
10-05-2004, 05:38 PM
^??? What is that burst in reference to psychorallyfreak? I hope it's not the MX-5.

psychorallyfreak
10-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Huh?

Add your comment to this topic!