Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Ram tranny help

ubuck
08-20-2004, 01:36 AM
My 1999 Ram 1500 4x2 automatic transmission feels like it is slipping out of gear @ 60-62 mph in overdrive. I watch the tac and the rpm's jump from 1700 to about 2200 for a second, then it seems to be ok for a while. The strange thing is that it started doing this about 2 months ago and continued for 5-6 weeks but now it hasn't done this for the past week or two. I drive the same route to work and it would usually do this when I would climb the same small incline on the interstate. Anyone able to tell me whats going on. My mechanic tells me that a rebuilt tranny @ $1700 may be in order.

troy1
08-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Sometimes the 3 torx 25 on the sol. become loose on the VB then you will hop in and out of OD/Lockup sound like just your torque conveter is coming on locked. you have to remove pan and the gov to check them. or the Gov sol. could be bad also

BleedDodge
08-23-2004, 02:35 PM
It makes sense to me. The torque converter is unlocking overdrive for pulling power to get up the small incline. Nothing's wrong.

ubuck
08-30-2004, 09:33 PM
Maybe I didn't explain this properly. I bought this truck new and it now has 81k miles on it, so I know that what it is doing is out of the norm. It seems like when I hit those certain inclines the transmission slips into nuetral for a second, which explains the rpm's jumping from 1700 to 2200. It hasn't happened now for the past 1000 miles but I'm planning a 600 mile fishing trip which I'll be pulling my boat. I'm thinking that I'll just install a cooler on the thing and say a prayer every few miles that it makes it home with no problems. :)

nwg4u
08-31-2004, 03:40 PM
I'm having the same trouble. My overdrive started orking for a while again but then I plugged in my cell phone to recharge and the overdrive started slipping in and out again. I've gotten several opinions ranging from bad valve body or tourque converter to bad computer or switch or overheating battery. Still have not solved the riddle. Any othersuggestions?

Gocards
09-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Same problem here also. But I bought mine used and Dealer says its just a normal problem with this truck and just drive it. Dealer is also my uncle. So thats what I have done. I do make sure I turn the overdrive off when pulling a boat though.
I had a 94 s10 zr2 that kinda did the same thing so I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it until my wife starting complaining.

lineguy
09-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Sounds like you have the same problem that I had with my 01. Any time I would be going up a slight incline it would feel like the tranny was slipping. The dealer changed the shift selenoid and thought that they fixed it. It wasn't fixed. I adjusted the TV cable (THINK THAT IS WHAT IT IS CALLED, LIKE A KICK DOWN CABLE.) and it would solve the problem. I think that by doing this it is increasing the tranny pressure, it isnt a fix. Finaly they changed the torque converter and I havent had a problem for the last 15000 miles.

CMONKK
10-15-2004, 09:07 AM
My 1999 Ram 1500 4x2 automatic transmission feels like it is slipping out of gear @ 60-62 mph in overdrive. I watch the tac and the rpm's jump from 1700 to about 2200 for a second, then it seems to be ok for a while. The strange thing is that it started doing this about 2 months ago and continued for 5-6 weeks but now it hasn't done this for the past week or two. I drive the same route to work and it would usually do this when I would climb the same small incline on the interstate. Anyone able to tell me whats going on. My mechanic tells me that a rebuilt tranny @ $1700 may be in order.
Make sure throtle cable is in spec. then disconnect batts., overnight works best.Leave switch in on pos.I've done this more than once,Its the overdrive not going into lockup.Worked on friends truck also.

jordanjamiejessica
11-16-2004, 12:04 PM
when u change fluid use chrystler fluid these trucks are picky
found that out the hard way

Add your comment to this topic!