Page updated on 10-22-2017

Glueing tiny weenie photo etched parts??

HURT77042
08-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Dudes....

What do you guys recommend for glueing itty bitty teenie weenie photo etched parts together? I bought Scale Motorsports Indy car seat belt kit and almost pulled all my hair out. First bending the metal to form the buckles kicked my butt, and then I tried to use super glue for bonding (This is what my local hobby store recommended) and ended up with a blob of poop. ugh. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Hurt

Vric
08-19-2004, 05:24 PM
someone recommeded me Clear pait (like Tamiya X-22) I didn'T tried it yet, but it might work

Lunatic_Mirage
08-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Yeah, clear paint or small amounts of white glue. I wouldn't use super glue as it would be too hard to work with and the final finish wouldn't be too good I believe

americanmuscleman
08-19-2004, 09:55 PM
cant u just use normal model glue?

JTRACING
08-19-2004, 10:03 PM
future works pretty good, or white glue, normal model glue could mess up your paint if your not careful

Vric
08-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Normal plastic glue don't do anything to metal, so no, it won't work and will hurt the paint badly

Ferrari TR
08-20-2004, 10:20 AM
You know, there are a lot of different kinds of super glue.
For the last set of belts I did I bought some super glue gel. I got the cheap 2 tubes for a buck kind. I just put a drop on a butter tub lid and apply it to the belts/pe with a tooth pick. The gel sets up more slowly and doesn't soak into the ribbon belts too much either.
Hope that helps :p

HURT77042
08-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks! I will try the gel, and if I still have problems....I will give the old classic white glue a shot. Next problem....painting the damn things. Arcylic paint doesn't stick worth a crap! Paint goes on with the first stroke then right back off again with the second stroke!

nervestrikes
08-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Yeah, PE parts are very interesting to use. I am working with some super small ones from studio 27. Since this is my first time working with them I have dedicated my old tweezers to the task of bending and placing the PE so I don't damage the paint. I have been using white glue for the parts that are to be put on after the paint job is done and regular glue if the part is to be applied before the body or part is painted. So far with the painting I notice you have to paint one stroke at a time, meaning you have to paint the part about a millions times to get the color to stick and that is using Tamiya paints. Anybody got any better ideas of painting solutions.

Rtuned
08-20-2004, 01:00 PM
For p/e set, I usually use 'modeler's #S-104 glue. Is like UHU smell and looks but after stick, the bond is like superglue yet there wasn't any fog surrounding it...plus, after dry, you can use your tweezer to clean up the rest on the suface. I heard from my friend that BBR use the same glue to produce their body finish too. :smile:

Ferrari TR
08-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Well, you can sand the PE parts with fine sandpaper (or a polishing cloth). Mostly though, they have to be clean! You can use laquer thinner on a cotton swab or other solvent degreaser to clean up the parts. I've always found that most acrylic paint is 'one stroke' paint. By that I mean that you should let it dry before applying a second coat.
You could also try spraying a coat of clear on the parts that you want to detail paint before you try to detail paint them.
:p
I use either 5 min epoxy or clear paint to stick PE to the body. You can clean up epoxy 'oops' with alcohol (if your paint is ok with that) and you can polish out clear paint 'oops' with a polishing cloth or stick. White glue will dry out and come loose!
If you wax the body before you attach the PE or even BMF you will have trouble getting anything to stick!

willimo
08-20-2004, 04:37 PM
+1 for the drop of superglue on the butter lid / tiny batches of 5 minute epoxy on the very same lid.

dag65
08-20-2004, 04:47 PM
glue?
weenie?
Bad combo LOL!

But seriously for badges and such I find a dab of clear paint works great

Add your comment to this topic!