Timing belt changed and now engine won't start

msuriano
08-19-2004, 10:04 AM
I have a 91 Camry and have just replaced the timing belt and water pump. I thought I did everything right. I made sure the Crankshaft Pulley was aligned to TDC and I turned the Cams to the right marks. I turned the crank by hand numerous times and everything lined up.

I lowered the motor back on to the mounts but didn't connect all the belts to the alternator and compressor. I just wanted to see if it would fire up. Well nothing happened, it turns over but won't start. I pulled some of the plugs and they are bone dry. Sprayed some starter fluid into the throttle body and still nothing. When I turn the key to Accs. shouldn't I hear the fuel pump wind up? I can't remember but I don't hear a thing.

So my delimma is, did I screw up the cam/crank alignment and just don't realize it? Like I said all the marks line up fine. This problem is out of my league and need some guidence. Do I need to put everything back together i.e. the Cruise Actuator, Power Steering resevoir, and all belts before I can start it up? It seemed to me I would at least get a hint off life without puting everything back. Then again, I'm not mechanic.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mike :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

ishop4less
08-19-2004, 01:29 PM
most likely cam and crankshaft are not alignt correctly. Do you have the manual repair book? what kind of camry that you have 4cyl or V6? but here is the site just incase you need it http://yotarepair.com/Timingbeltinstructions.html

Brian R.
08-19-2004, 03:57 PM
That's a very useful site. I have been tempted to put information like that on the web, but I assumed copyright problems would loom. I hope no one starts trouble.

yotatechie04
08-19-2004, 05:28 PM
You should crank the engine by hand a few times before attempting to start, also check your main wiring harnesses to verify that they are fully connected. After that, cycle the key from OFF to ON but don't start it, just let the pump kick on a few times, and then try to start the engine.

msuriano
08-21-2004, 03:30 PM
most likely cam and crankshaft are not alignt correctly. Do you have the manual repair book? what kind of camry that you have 4cyl or V6? but here is the site just incase you need it http://yotarepair.com/Timingbeltinstructions.html

It is a V6 and I do have a repair book. If I turned the engine over by the key and the CAMs weren't aligned could I have damaged anything? Like I said in the earlier post, all the marks on both cams are aligned to the marks on the motor and since the crank shaft pulley only goes on one way, if that is aligned to TDC and then aligning the CAM shafts to their marks it should work....right? Is there a chance I blew some kind of fuse? I'm grasping a straws but I just don't get it. I do have the repair manual and thought I did it right.

Thanks for the replies,
Mike

RIP
08-22-2004, 02:24 AM
You haven't mentioned if you made sure the rotor under your distributor cap is pointing at the #1 spark plug wire when your shaft marks are aligned indicating TDC. I'm no mechanic but over the years I have changed a couple timing belts. If I remember correctly, your timing marks can be aligned with your rotor pointing 180 deg away from the #1 plug wire. It has got to be pointing at the #1 plug wire. If it's not, pull the belt off again and turn the crank shaft until the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire position. Make sure your cam shaft and drive shaft marks are aligned. Put the belt back on. All three of these indicators must be aligned for your engine to start. Once it's running don't forget to adjust your distributor to get the timing set to specs. As for damaging your engine, no you didn't. You have what's called a non interference engine. Go to www.gates.com for an explanation. Read the first page then click on the button at the bottom for the list of engines. Be safe, disconnect your battery while you're doing all this. Cheers!

Bmaintz
08-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Dito on being 180 degrees off.... I always set the rotar pointing to #1 plug & TDC before pulling belt off, then don't move the cam gear... Good idea to change your seals & check the tensior spring while you are in there...

msuriano
08-23-2004, 02:03 PM
You haven't mentioned if you made sure the rotor under your distributor cap is pointing at the #1 spark plug wire when your shaft marks are aligned indicating TDC. I'm no mechanic but over the years I have changed a couple timing belts. If I remember correctly, your timing marks can be aligned with your rotor pointing 180 deg away from the #1 plug wire. It has got to be pointing at the #1 plug wire. If it's not, pull the belt off again and turn the crank shaft until the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire position. Make sure your cam shaft and drive shaft marks are aligned. Put the belt back on. All three of these indicators must be aligned for your engine to start. Once it's running don't forget to adjust your distributor to get the timing set to specs. As for damaging your engine, no you didn't. You have what's called a non interference engine. Go to www.gates.com for an explanation. Read the first page then click on the button at the bottom for the list of engines. Be safe, disconnect your battery while you're doing all this. Cheers!

Rip,

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm heading out to the garage to find out if that is the problem. That never even dawned on me and really appreciate your insite. Thanks for the link too, it's been in the back of my mind that I did some damage to the engine, that's a relief!

Mike

Bmaintz
08-23-2004, 03:34 PM
When you get the belt on correctly leave the Tensioner bolt loose & hand crank clockwise a couple of turns & then tighten the Tensioner bolt.... I always use a socket & 3/8 long handle rachet on the crank/balancer pulley bolt to turn the engine over....

msuriano
08-23-2004, 05:50 PM
When you get the belt on correctly leave the Tensioner bolt loose & hand crank clockwise a couple of turns & then tighten the Tensioner bolt.... I always use a socket & 3/8 long handle rachet on the crank/balancer pulley bolt to turn the engine over....

Bmaintz,

Thanks for the advice. When you say tensioner bolt, this has the piston loaded pin that I compressed and then put an allen wrench in to hold it in place. You're saying not to release the piston until I turn the crank a few times?

Thanks,
Mike

Bmaintz
08-23-2004, 05:58 PM
The tensioner pully keeps the slack out of the timing belt... Rotating a few times works all the slack out of the belt.... I haven't worked on your type... Maybe someone alse can help out... Bob

msuriano
08-25-2004, 02:54 PM
I aligned the rotor to #1 Plug wire. but when I turn the left cam shaft the rotor turn too. I'm at a loss here. I thought that after I aligned the rotor and then took off the belt, the rotor would stay put, it didn't. I put everything back together and still not even a hint of life. When I aligned the left cam to the marks after the belt was off the rotor was in between the #6 and #1 wires. Any ideas?

ishop4less
08-25-2004, 04:01 PM
with the belt off, Set the No 1 cylinder to TDC (Crankshaft Pulley). Turn the Right Camshaft untill the knock pin hole is aligned with mark on the cover, then turn left cam until marks on the pulley aligned with the cover too, then install the belt. Turn the crankshaft clockwise two complete revolution and check that all marks are still alignment. Please check out the links that i send you in the earlier post.

Puppitwiz
12-20-2004, 02:21 AM
I have the exact same problem on my '93 3vz-fe. Do you align the single dots, or two dots on one tooth? I've been putting the two dots together on both heads (v6). Should I be using the set of single dots?

(ignition and fuel is fine)

pasco
12-21-2004, 06:32 PM
5SFE engine, 4 cylinder. Finished the job, now car won't start.
I put everything back but still no start. I did not line up TDC before starting but I marked the old belt and cam sprocket and transferred marking to the new belt.

It is possible that either the crankshaft sensor got drenched by the coolant when the water pump was removed, and as a result the crank sensor no longer works. But that is a pure guess.

Brian R.
12-22-2004, 09:51 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=326958

r16409
01-19-2005, 04:41 PM
I just did this on a 1993 Camary 4cly motor and had a very difficlut time getting the timming marks lined up. I was able to get them lined up by lining up the camshaft sprocket and the pully. Then I pushed down on the tensioner then tighentened the bolt so I was able to install the tb. The most important thing was to MAKE SURE THERE WAS NO SLACK ON THE T.B. between the camshaft sprocket and the waterpump gear. If there was slack here it seems like by the time to rotated I would loose a tooth or two because of the slack.

Hope this helps!

5SFE engine, 4 cylinder. Finished the job, now car won't start.
I put everything back but still no start. I did not line up TDC before starting but I marked the old belt and cam sprocket and transferred marking to the new belt.

It is possible that either the crankshaft sensor got drenched by the coolant when the water pump was removed, and as a result the crank sensor no longer works. But that is a pure guess.

Add your comment to this topic!