Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Factory Speaker Replacement?

Sirfishalot
08-19-2004, 02:01 AM
Has anyone replaced their stock 6x9's in the rear ceiling? I'm wondoring how the speaker grilles are supposed to be detached. Tried pulling on them a bit, but am afraid of ripping them if there is an easier way to detach & reattach.

Thanks

SpitAndDirt
08-21-2004, 08:01 PM
You have to kind of grab on edge and push towards the center of the speaker, then you should have enough room to clear the retaining clip and remove the grill.

Sirfishalot
08-24-2004, 12:08 AM
You have to kind of grab on edge and push towards the center of the speaker, then you should have enough room to clear the retaining clip and remove the grill.
Thanks,
I found out though that they are not 6x9 but 4x10. Bummer, cause there aren't but a couple speakers made in this size. One by Sony and by Pioneer. It doesn't look like there is enough clearance to put the 6x9's up there even if you were to cut the mounting plate to accomodate. The stock 4x10 has a tweeter that points to front of the truck. I wondor if a replacement will sound a heck of alot better?
I don't have an amp yet, but just had an Alpine head unit and Infinity 4x6 reference speakers installed up front. Looking at getting a Bazooka tube put in to get some bass. There just doesn't seem to be a very good place to mount it.

attackdog
09-10-2004, 11:55 PM
You may also try using a 4"seperate and a titanium tweeter. It should not be very hard to modify a bracket to get them in place and you will have a good, clean sound. Good luck.

MagnumGuy
09-14-2004, 09:27 PM
Has anyone replaced their stock 6x9's in the rear ceiling? I'm wondoring how the speaker grilles are supposed to be detached. Tried pulling on them a bit, but am afraid of ripping them if there is an easier way to detach & reattach.

Thanks

You have to kindof slide them to the front or back ...almost folding them in half ...they come out ..dont worry aboout breaking ..I've done mine !

Take Care
Ej

markdpro
09-20-2004, 11:21 PM

Thanks
I went with the sony units and they went right in no problem. Sound great. The voice coils on the OME just sort of seized up after 7 years

danbates
09-27-2004, 12:06 PM

Thanks
I think they are 4 x 10. They have a swiveling latch on the inside of the grill. I got mine off by squeezing the grill together front to back.

markdpro
09-27-2004, 12:29 PM
I think they are 4 x 10. They have a swiveling latch on the inside of the grill. I got mine off by squeezing the grill together front to back.

Yes, they are an odd size but sony makes a coaxial pair that bolt right in.

Sirfishalot
10-03-2004, 12:44 AM
I ended up getting these new 4 x10 from Eclipse. Haven't yet installed them, but will report back once they are in. Now I just need to get a subwoofer and either a 5 channel amp or a 4 channel plus a mono. Im sure it will sound OK with the new 4 x 10's but I'm missing the lows plus I like to crank it up a bit.

Sirfishalot
10-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Finally got my system together. Alpine 9825/iPod Interface/640w Kenwood 4ch/ Infinity 4x6 and 3 8w0 JL Audio subs in a sealed enclosure. Although it is entry level I am pleased with the exception of the 4 x10's which are currently not amplified, just running on deck power for mid fill. Someone suggested that these will never really sound good because of location (ceiling, aimed down). Any feedback on this? Has anyone here been able to mount theirs aimed toward the front?

Thanks
:lol:

markdpro
10-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Finally got my system together. Alpine 9825/iPod Interface/640w Kenwood 4ch/ Infinity 4x6 and 3 8w0 JL Audio subs in a sealed enclosure. Although it is entry level I am pleased with the exception of the 4 x10's which are currently not amplified, just running on deck power for mid fill. Someone suggested that these will never really sound good because of location (ceiling, aimed down). Any feedback on this? Has anyone here been able to mount theirs aimed toward the front?

Thanks
The stock rear uppers had the tweeter tilted forward. Remember that while the high frequency sound is directional, the low frequency (bass) isn't and can be placed virtually anywhere inside the vehicle. The speakers in a vehicle are already strategically placed for the occupants. You'll see that most late model units have small speakers (tweeters) placed almost at ear height or at least well above knee height to take adavantage of this effect. Mid range and lower frequency speakers can go low in the doors(a natural accoustic enclosure) or in the rear quater panels (ditto). The volume of the enclosure (as well as the stiffness) determines the frequency at which is resonates.Tweeters because they oscillate so quickly have no need for an enclosure since they don't drive much air.. Dome tweeters for example are surface mount. Tweeters also have small driver cones that can respond above 10 12 kilohtz. Thus they lend themselves to being spotted in window corners or in dashboards.
In some ways, because the occupants of a vehicle sit in fixed positions, the problems of speaker placement are easier than is say a room in a house. I would suggest staying with the layout used by the manufacturer and if you want better, do what you are doing, improve the speakers at those locations ( and amp, tuner and source if you want to go $$$)

MagnumGuy
10-20-2004, 11:35 PM

Thanks

I have to disagree ..but they are used mostly for the Bass and for awsome seperation ..sounds like you did a nice system ...Enjoy !!

Sirfishalot
10-22-2004, 01:33 AM
I have to disagree ..but they are used mostly for the Bass and for awsome seperation ..sounds like you did a nice system ...Enjoy !!
Thanks MagnumGuy,
It's OK for entry level, but I seem to be missing quite a bit of Mid bass. Maybe if I get another amp dedicated to the subs, the 4x10 Eclipses might round things out. Currently I have the high pass filter set for the fronts and low pass for the subs. Tried turning high pass off for more mids from the Infinitys, but not liking the sound as much at higher volumes. I'm considering the JL 250/1 monoblock amp for the JL's, but already have spent more than I had planned.
Oh well.

TwoPoint
10-22-2004, 08:19 PM
if anybody is going to replace the rear speakers, you can make up to a 5.25 fit. I put in MB Quart PCE 213 5.25 /1" tweeters.

I had to fab a piece of sheetmetal aprox 6x10. measured out the existing mount holes, then place both speakers (woofer and tweeter)
Once I had that complete, I put that back into the vehicle and had to cut the old mounting plate. I covered the plate, both sides with dynamat. Installed the speakers into the plate
Wired the speakers, then mounted the plate. I had to put the crossovers up in the ceiling
And used foam to prevent them from rattling around.

The covers were a little tight to put back on. But once they were on it looked stock
They sound great!!

As for the tweeters MB Quarts come with a couple of mounting options. One of them is a forward tilt to gain directionality

Add your comment to this topic!