Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

what size carburator

strongboy2005
08-19-2004, 01:19 AM
Hi. I am new when it comes to muscle cars/engines in general and I wanted to know how I were to go about getting the correct size carburator for an engine.

Specifically, what size carb would this engine need:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7915561005

Also, besides the carburator and transmission, what would need to be added to complete that engine. I read over it but I'm not sure if I would need to buy any additional parts to get it up and running.

The reason I'd like to know is because I'd like to take into account all expenses that I would have to shell out for a complete engine swap and would not like to go into the project blindly.

Thanks.

Tibbs
09-11-2004, 09:06 PM
there is some detailed math involved when choosing the right size carburetor for your engine. the equation looks like this. (CIDx max power rpm)/3456x volumetric efficiency=cfm.in your case you would need at least 507 cfm's to feed your engine.your best bet is to go with a 600 cfm carburetor and do your fine tuning with the jet sizes once the vehicle is running. The engine looks good, Id say go for it but keep in mind that its not a good idea to put a blower of any kind on that motor.

71 cuda'
09-23-2005, 12:49 AM
let me make this sound easier. cubic-inches x max rpm at the redline x volumetric efficiency (if you have slight modifications then plugin 0.80 if you have a full race engine plugin 0.90). thats divided by 3,456= CFM (cubic feet of air per minute) good-luck!

MrPbody
09-23-2005, 08:32 AM
Well, the e-bay thing was removed. Did you buy it?

To clear up one possible area of confusion, the number "3,456" is actually 2 CF. The reason that number is used, is to divide the real total by 2, as a cylinder only takes in air on every other revolution. 1 cubic foot is 1,728 cubic inches.

One other thing. Multipy the result by 1.10. We always add 10% for variance in flow ratings for carbs. Any more than that would be too big.
FWIW

Jim

Add your comment to this topic!