Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

is it neccessary?!?

2003_350z_Touring
08-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Hey i just installed my cold air intake and i had heard some people say a while back on here that it was necessary to disconnect the ECU for a while..and then plug it back in...i guess to reset it or something...is this really something that i should do? and if it is....exactly how do i do this? thanks in advance

VQuick
08-19-2004, 07:03 AM
Resetting the ECU would theoretically help it factor the intake into it's programming. That would help the ECU take full advantage of the intake, and you'd have better gains.

k3smostwanted
08-20-2004, 01:58 AM
shouldnt the ecu be reading the all the factors constantly so shouldnt as soon as the intake is installed it should pick up the new product with open arms.

VQuick
08-20-2004, 07:04 AM
Some ECUs do that, some don't.

JCCR
08-20-2004, 12:52 PM
disconect the ECU to be on the safe side

2003_350z_Touring
08-20-2004, 10:33 PM
where is the ECU located and how do i disconnect it

Street Sports
08-22-2004, 10:52 AM
where is the ECU located and how do i disconnect it

The ECU is located under the dash on the passenger side of the vehicle, close to the kickpanel. On the bottom edge of the dash panel, toward the right, you will notice a small notch in the plastic. This is where you will look. You may have to lay in the floorboard to do this, but place your right hand on the bottom of the ECU as if you were holding the ECU up in the dash. Where the notch in the plastic dash panel is, use your index finger and place it on the small end of the ECU. There is a tab that you are going to press with your finger that will release the ECU harness handle. Once released, the handle will rotate down (through the notch) about 90 degrees and will end up pointing straight down. Then just pull down to release the harness. Reversing this will reconnect it.

However, you probably don't really need to worry about it since the Z is a mass-air vehicle. It will measure the air increase automatically. If the engine management was speed density like a Honda, it would make more difference. It may however reset your long-term fuel trim (which will happen by itself anyway just by driving). You can do it if you wish, but I don't think you will realize any difference. We don't ever do it here at the shop when we install them for our customers.

Good luck with it my friend!

Shawn @ Street Sports

350G
08-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Shawn, here's a cookie :D . . .

Add your comment to this topic!