Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

pcv valve

butterfingers
08-18-2004, 06:48 PM
on my doadge ram 50 my pcv valve keeps plugging up. It will coat the inside of itself with oil. Then you spray a little carb cleaner through it and it will fix it but not for long. This is a new pcv valve too. What could be causing this???

praisethelowered
08-19-2004, 08:04 PM
It may sound silly, but did you put to much oil in during your last oil change? I've seen people put too much in, and it get pucked out the pcv valve in to the airbox.

butterfingers
08-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Well actually I did put a quart over the same time I took out my catalytic convertor because it plugged up. It smoked then but I thought it was the oil I used since it looked watery and I put a quart over in anyway. I changed it and it stopped for awhile but then started to smoke again.

BleedDodge
08-22-2004, 08:51 PM
That would be it. The truck will smoke a bit more than normal with no catalytic converter.

If your cat plugged in the first place, that means that there is something wrong that caused it to plug up, such as a misfire, bad EGR system, or a leak someplace, among other things.

Your check engine must be on by now, is it not?

butterfingers
08-24-2004, 02:16 PM
No check engine light. Cat plugged from misfire. Misfire came from wet plug wires wich I fixed but it was too late. Might as well just put oil in it when it needs it and run till it dies you guys agree??? Thanks

BleedDodge
08-24-2004, 02:45 PM
That's what I would do...

butterfingers
08-24-2004, 03:59 PM
well just got back inside. I was looking at the tailpipe on pourpose. How much smoke should you expect without a cat. At idle it smokes pretty steady but when you start going or rev it up the smoking will stop. Also how hard should the hose on the pcv valve suck? If you take mine off the pcv valve and put it on your thumb you physically have to remove the hose with the other hand it sucks so hard. Is this normal??? Thanks for any help Oh yeah one other thing. I took the plugs out and they all look perfectly normal. They are all light brownish with just a little ash on the outside. Not black at all

BleedDodge
08-24-2004, 06:08 PM
It's normal. There is no cat. It will smoke like it's burning antifreeze but it really isn't. You're good to go.

butterfingers
08-24-2004, 06:48 PM
its mostly blue smoke, am I still good to go or do I have a problem. Thanks for the help.

BleedDodge
08-24-2004, 10:04 PM
It's blue smoke? Ohhhhhhh.....

I guess it's just worn out is all. You can keep running it, just watch the oil level. It will eventually need a rebuild sometime down the road...

butterfingers
08-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Well I could certainly imagine it being worn out but.... even though I dont know a lot about cars I have seen cars that burned oil and they smoked on start up and came out of it when it warmed up. My vehicle does just the opposite. When you start it there is no smoke and the exahaust smells normal until it starts to warm up. Then it stinks and smokes. Whats the deal here shouldnt warn parts fit when they warm up and expand??? Thanks for all the help BleedDodge and others I really apperciate the replys.

butterfingers
08-27-2004, 07:49 PM
any ideas???

BleedDodge
08-28-2004, 02:37 AM
I have an idea that there is nothing wrong and you should keep running it.

butterfingers
08-28-2004, 08:27 PM
ok works for me thanks

moparboy99
09-08-2004, 11:19 AM
the reason that your pcv valve keeps plug is because the engine is old. the pcv valve vents the positive crankcase presure that is also why it smokes because it vent back into your intake and gets reburned. the rings on the engine are probly going or teh vavle seats that it why it smokes more when it gets warmed up

Add your comment to this topic!