Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Legacy Fuel Type?

nickbalcombe99
08-18-2004, 02:40 AM
Hey People ;)

I'm an Australian, and wanting to buy an imported Legacy Turbo model (1995+) in the near future. Just wanted to know what kinda fuel they need (RON?) cos I live in a shitty state that may not have it.

Cheers,

Nicko

memecode
08-26-2004, 09:28 AM
I have a '96 Twin Turbo GT import, and I live in Syndey. They are _supposed_ to run 100 octane premium, but unless you know the secret place in North Sydney that sells it for $1.40/ltr then the next best you can find is 98 octane at Shell/Mobil etc.

I've been using Optimax for 16 months with no serious fuel problems so far.

Although lots of places in Australia sell the cheaper 95 or 96 octane premium. So you often have to ask the person behind the counter before filling. I always get the willies driving long distance... I'd love to find a couple of jerry cans to put in the boot for long trips. The shell's up the coast don't always carry Optimax, something they just have 96.

Btw Caltex's premium is 97 octane... so at a pinch you could use that. Although I'd take it real easy with a tank of that in your car.

The ECU will detect bad fuel and retart the timing, but it remembers that and takes a while to forget that and return the timing to normal. I once put 96 octane in by accident and nothing untoward happened.

nickbalcombe99
08-27-2004, 01:58 AM
Hey, yeah the only fuel they sell down here is like 95 / 96 too. I think I can actually get the car's ECU remapped to run 96 RON...need to do some more research..

Have you got any pics of your car? I wanna get to know as much as I can about these before I purchase one. my MSN messenger address is: nickbalcombe99@hotmail.com if you have chat..

Cheers,

Nick

Add your comment to this topic!