Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hi FLow Cats

rak3
08-17-2004, 07:40 PM
Ok this one is way out of what i know about cars. I am upgrading my exhaust system and have headers and exhaust already and i took off the cat covers and it was one solid piece of rust, as expected since it was 10 years old, so i started to look at Hi Flow cats on the internet and the first place i looked was ebay just to see if they had some variety like they did with the exhaust. All the ones i found were 20-40 bucks. The only name i recognized was BOMZ and it was 40. Then i looked on some other sites and found them for 100-200. So basically i am asking what is a good price to pay for them and what type is worth buying. If it help the exhaust is greddy so it needs to fit 2.5" pipes.

Rating
08-18-2004, 01:59 AM
Look into getting a flexpipe, highflow cats are crappy. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7917013174&category=33633
They look like this, there cheap and great, Ive had both high flow cat and currently using a flex pipe, Its the shizzle man. You will have to get the right size pipe though. Also it will be welded on, its not bolt-on, that might run you a good couple of bucks extra. You dont have to buy off ebay, go around asking auto shops if they install and/or sell flex pipes. Its way worth it.

integralover
08-18-2004, 10:49 AM
ok, so my question is when you want to upgrade your exhaust or like me when i was going down the road and hit something and dented my muffler can i have to get it welded back off? my high flow cat sucks my fu***** ass. it leaks and makes it this damn noise.

Rating
08-18-2004, 11:57 PM
well it depends, if your talking about a muffler repair or install a new one they will have to cut your muffler off and weld it again after the repair or new muffler.

As for the flexpipe i donno ive never had to repair it or need it removed.

And if your asking if you would need to get the flexpipe removed if your muffler is removed for a repair, then the answer is no.

SpaceManSpiff
08-19-2004, 12:23 AM
As for the original question, get a carsound cat. They are generally the highest quality, best ones. I wouldn't get a flex pipe, just because I'll give up the 5 or so hp because I like breathing even more than I like driving, and carsound cats aren't much more restrictive than a test pipe.

Rating
08-19-2004, 12:41 AM
lol a flex pipe doesnt rob your hp its the same as a highflow cat if not better, just better doesnt get messed up as easily.

SpaceManSpiff
08-19-2004, 02:16 PM
I wasn't saying it did, but I still would rather give up the 5 or so hp for cleaner air.

rak3
08-21-2004, 05:07 PM
hey guys its cool dont need to argue about it :nono: i really just wanted to know what was the best thing to replace my cat because there is no way i am putting the old one on. As for if mine was damaged it wasnt, I am rebuilding the engine because when i bought it it had 180,000 miles. There is no exhaust left on the car, i have the headers and cat-back sitting in the corner of my room, i need too get the something to replace the cat in the next week so i can finish putting the car back together. It doesnt matter what goes there just something besides that one.

Add your comment to this topic!