Jimmy Service Engine soon light question

GMCJIMMY
08-17-2004, 05:18 PM
I've had my 2001 Jimmy in 3 different times in the last 3 years (warranty is about to expire). All 3 times the "Secondary Air Injection" was replaced, which included the hose, air pump and shield.

I'm curious if the dealer is just putting a band-aid on a bigger problem?

The code on the most recent visit was P0410. The dealers notes on my invoice says this time, they found water in air pump, and had to replace both the pump and valve and hose . They also found that the shield was missing as well.

I don't have the codes for the previous 2 times that it had to have the pump replaced.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Tim

GMCTech
08-18-2004, 06:41 AM
There is a bulletin out now that covers recurring DTC P0410.

The dealership will need to replace the exhaust check valves (one on each side). That is where your water gets in from.

We have replaced literally dozens of A.I.R. pumps in the last 2 years. It was just the beginning of this year that the letter came out (March, I believe).

We now replace ALL A.I.R. components on the second occurance. -The pump, the intake check valve and hoses with the updated part, the exhaust check valve, and sometimes the harness.

To keep costs down for the customers that are no longer under warranty, there are a couple shortcuts that your dealer may also be able to perform for you if they are familiar with the system to save you a couple $$.

Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!