Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Rear end failure

Le Gimp
08-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Since I just got the truck, I decided to change the rear end fluid in my 2002 1500 quad cab before heading to TX this week. As part of my general oil/filter change, Plugs, air filter, rotate tires, etc I figured I would change the rear end fluid.

I got the recomended (in manual) synthetic (rip off, I know) fluid and additive from the dodge dealer ($$).

When I pulled the cover off the rear end, I found metal flakes in the oil, and broken parts in the bottom of the case.

The parts appear to be stamped half moon clips. It looks like they are part of the Posi-Track control system.

Fortunatly, I bought an extended warranty (lets see if it is worth the paper it is written on) and am in the process of trying to get the truck to the dealer. It looks like they recomend replacing the carrier assembly and carrier bearings.

I have read almoste every thread on this list, with only seeing a few references to the rear end of the 2002.

Has anyone else seen this problem.

I have since heard of two other Dodge owners that have experienced rear end failures around 40k Miles.

Needless to say, the trip to TX is off.

BleedDodge
08-23-2004, 10:52 AM
I would have driven it anyway.

Le Gimp
08-23-2004, 11:07 PM
I should have.

The warranty company is now claiming that they don't have to cover it since I only drove it a couple a hundred miles before finding it. They claim it already failed before I bought it, so they aren't responsible.

The rack and pinion gears don't even show any wear beyond what one would expect at 42K.

Eagle Warranty sux.

BleedDodge
08-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Texas isn't going anywhere.

edgeracing
10-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Mine failed when new. The ABS light kept coming on. On the third trip to the dealer, they discovered the crown and pinion were badly warped and out of align, which chewed up the ABS sensor

Add your comment to this topic!