Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C Compressor freezing

crabuback
08-17-2004, 06:21 AM
My son has a S-10, 4.3 liter where the A/C compressor clutch or bearings occasionly freeze up. By that I mean the serpentine belt rotates, but the ac pulley freezes up. It amazes me that it hasn't broken the belt so far, but surely it will soon.

My question is, can he buy or shorter belt and bypass the ac altogether, as he never uses it, or replace the ac compressor with an idler pulley per the no ac 4.3 liter configuration? He really doesn't want to put a lot of money into the truck at this point as he is in college.

i_hate_cars38
05-22-2012, 03:22 PM
i have a 2002 intrigue it froze killed the engine everyone told me no way to bypass junkyard part and price to put in since i can anymore anyway i went popped the hood and saw it right there out in the blue the alt was higher si reran and played with old belt till i got a way with proper tension and water etc running i the brought tensoner in a ways and cut the old belt with tension on it three belt tries later it runs perfect no compressor but s10s are all differant try a s10 model with no ac that might fit or tey from scratch like i did just make sure your not rubbing the ac pulley

FishFind
05-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Yes. it is $40 bucks and you can get it at autozone.

here is a link to the bypass pully http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1998-Chevrolet-Blazer-4WD/A-C-Compressor-Bypass-Pulley/_/N-ja7ihZ91tb7?filterByKeyWord=ac+bypass&fromString=search

Features & Benefits

Now there’s an affordable, effective way to get your vehicle up and running after a seized A/C compressor renders it inoperable. Dorman’s A/C Compressor By-Pass Pulley is installed in place of a new compressor, significantly reducing parts and labor costs.
Significantly cuts costs by eliminating the need for a new A/C compressor
Uses original length serpentine belt
Lightweight for easy handling
Rigorous quality control measures have been undertaken to ensure that this part conforms to product standards

old_master
05-22-2012, 06:40 PM
That was almost 8 years ago... I bet he figured it out by now ;)

FishFind
05-22-2012, 07:15 PM
ha never even looked.

j cAT
05-22-2012, 08:24 PM
when the ac compressor pulley starts making noises this is the time to replace the pulley assy. once this siezes on the ac compressor you will never get it off !

parts are available to replace the pulley bearing assy or just the bearing for the pulley.

some part stores have tools available for this replacement.

Add your comment to this topic!