Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Distributor cap upgrade

LowTegg
08-16-2004, 09:36 PM
i own a '94 LS integra and i just bought platnium +4 spark plugs and Bosch plug wires(i might sell them or get them back if there's any other wires better) and i want/need a more powerful distributor cap and rotor. the cap and rotor are the same that has been on the car from day one.... so old old stuff but prolly the last old stuff in my engine. But my question is, i found the MSD modified distributor cap but it says something like this "modified to use an external coil(sold separately) and fitted to accept high voltage coil wire" ive looked up external coil but found nothing im just confused and lost
i already got plugs and wires but after buying MSD modified distributor cap and rotor what else do i need???
please help ASAP!

boosted k20
08-16-2004, 10:49 PM
u need to get a blaster coil for the modified distributor cap. with the coil, u also need the wire that attaches from the coil to the distributor cap.
But u dont NEED an MSD cap. just buy a stock cap from honda or anywhere else. ur not gonna notice any great HP increase with the MSD cap.
If u do get the MSD cap, ur gonna have to buy the coil (about $35) and then ur gonna have to wire it up. u will need to remove ur stock coil that is inside the distributor and then drill a hole in your MSD cap in order to pass the wires that connected to the stock ignition coil to your new MSD blaster coil.

Just get a stock cap bro.

LowTegg
08-17-2004, 11:30 AM
ok well i did buy an oem cap and have oem rotor in hand then the +4 plugs with bosch wires u say all i need is the blaster ss? i dont need an ignition unit with it?

boosted k20
08-17-2004, 07:47 PM
Im confused. R u gonna go with the MSD distr. cap or stick with the stock one?

If ur gonna go with the MSD cap, then u need to buy a MSD blaster coil and the wires (looks like spark plug wires) to go with it. u dont need to buy a ignition with it. u can just hook it up to the stock igniton wires. go to www.msd.com for the wiring diagrams for ur car. follow the diagram where u are using ur stock ignition and not the MSD ignition.

U will need to remove the stock ignitor/coil. on the stock ignitor/coil, u will notice two wires attach to it. unscrew the wires from the coil and then attach two new long wires to these two wires. drill a hole in the msd cap and pass these two wires through it. make sure u take note of which one is positive and which is negative. now attach them to the corresponding "+" and "-" side of the msd blaster coil. now attach the spark plug wire thing (that u will have to buy for the coil) to the coil and the other side to the cap.

heres a link that explains it. but it will be different for u becuz u r not install n an msd ignition
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/msdbtm/msd.php

LowTegg
08-17-2004, 07:51 PM
i bought a new OEM distributor cap and OEM rotor, bosch plug wires, platnium +4 plugs if i get a blaster or ignition kit with it i'll use the stock distributor cap. but besides the plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor i have purchased, what else do i need?

boosted k20
08-17-2004, 08:02 PM
if ur gonna use the stock cap and use an MSD blaster coil, ur gonna need to drill and put a screw into the cap and attach an adapter to it in order to run the blaster coil. i cant explain it too well, but a simple search on google will show u how to make ur stock cap into an MSD cap. it's much cheaper to turn ur stock cap into an MSD cap with the screw and the adapter fittings that u will need to purchase. and the only other thing u need to purchase is the spark plug wire thing that runs from the cap to the blaster coil

LowTegg
08-17-2004, 10:30 PM
yeah i know how to drill the hole and puttin the screw in and getting the adapters and plug for it so thats no sweat i just needed to know what else i needed

Add your comment to this topic!