Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Should I buy one?

Dave1669
08-16-2004, 01:53 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a used truck. I need it to be extended cab, 4 wheel drive, and at least a V8. The price also has to be around $10,000 (this is all I can afford if I want to keep my current car). I've seen used Dodge Rams for sale that meet these qualifications (most of them 1996-1998 models with 90k+ miles on them). I am not a big fan of the Ford F150's from this time and I like the way the Ram looks better than the Chevy/GMC (not to mention the Ram is a little cheaper). My question is: How long does a Ram like the one I described usually last (any major problems?, etc.) and would you recommend buying one that fits this description? Also, are there any advantages/disadvantages of getting a Ram over the Chevy/GMC? Thanks in advance.

BleedDodge
08-17-2004, 12:10 AM
If there was no such thing as Dodge, I'd own a GMC or Chevy for sure. They're pretty nice to drive. I'll mention some things about GMC/Chevy that I noticed.

Pros: Nice ride, comfy steering wheel location because it's nice and close. Looks better than Ford.

Cons: Rust. Not sharp turning radius, takes 4 lanes to turn it around. 2 different radio control locations, like if you wanted to put a deck in, you can, but there is still buttons left over on the other half of the dash for the old radio. Gauges placed where they shouldn't be, I couldn't get used to that.

Like anything else, if you get a Ram, it's not going to last a million years, but I do believe they are very good trucks. Anything will eventually break, but these trucks are very tough. My truck was worth every penny, if it cost more I would have paid it. It's just that good I think.

LTJGWorth
08-17-2004, 06:39 PM
My advice is to not buy a truck (or any vehicle for that matter) on what other people say. That's not to discredit anyone because i totally agree with what Bleed said. But buy a truck on what you want and what you like. Like Bleed said, something will eventually break or go wrong on a vehicle. Nothing is perfect and nothing ever will be.

Add your comment to this topic!