Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Buying FIRST Ford...Maybe!!

CTMark
08-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Hello,
I am new to the group and have always had GM cars. However, I have the oppotunity to buy a '93 Thunderbird from my best friend who bought it new. He took outstanding care of it and always changed the oil, serviced it, etc. It has never been hit. He recently had an 1100.00 paint job put on the car. It is a 4.6 V8 w/ 4sp auto. The car is in like new condition with slightly over 100k. He bought a new '04 Mustang GT and has put it up for sale, offering it to me first.

The car has only one problem that I have a question about. My friend told me the "Lock up" converter doesn't lock anymore. Though that's not the end of the world to me, it is something to consider. I asked my transmission guy and he said it may be something other than a defective converter and the trans should come out. THE KICKER: HE SAYS IN ORDER TO GET THE TRANS OUT HE HAS TO UNBOLT AND MOVE THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL, WHEELS AND SPRING BACK IN THE CAR!!!!! IS THIS TRUE??? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING!!! IF this is true, the labor cost will make the purchase prohibitive. What an engineering fisaco if this is true!! PLEASE NEED HELP, THIS IS MY FIRST FORD PRODUCT AND I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE!!!

Also, I'm guessing the car is worth about 2500.00 to 3000.00 even with the tranny (problem?). What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mike75
08-17-2004, 01:26 AM
Keep checking, dude. I'm sure you'll get a response soon enough. Good luck!

flewthecoupe
08-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Well, the rear end does not have to come out, but the fuel tank does in order to get the driveshaft out of the way. And, if this a '93 how does it have the 4.6? That engine made its debut in the thunderbird in '94. That also makes a big difference as to what tranny you have whether it is an AOD or 4R70W and what issues it may or may not have.

Add your comment to this topic!