Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

205 xs 1.4 breakdown after 5 minutes!

205xsmad
08-16-2004, 06:30 AM
I bought an F-reg 205 1.4xs yesterday, and about five minutes after I had bought the car it broke down!

I was going over a roundabout and I changed up to 3rd gear, this was when the engine stalled and I changed down to 2nd gear to try and get it going again, but it just slowed the car down and I came to a stop.

I pushed the car into a carpark and opened up the bonnet to see what was wrong. The first thing I noticed was that there was a bit of oil splashed over the top of the engine and a puddle of oil soon formed under the engine of the car. I could see there was an oil leek somewhere, but I couldnt see where it was. The engine will no longer start now, I noticed that when the ignition is on the oil light and temperature light comes on.

Basically I have just lost a lot of money, as I paid for insurance on this car the other day for 1 year!
I need to find out whats wrong with it as soon as possible, so if anyone can help me here I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Oli

nialusa
08-18-2004, 11:55 PM
I had a similar problem with my XS, all be it ten years ago. The problem then was that I had a split in the engine casing just down the back of the engine block, lost all the oil etc, took it to a garage that welded it up and away I went again, didnt cost too much either.
Questions - Does the engine turn over when you try to start it? Is there any sign of loose hoses etc? Was the car producing alot of smoke when it was running? Try and describe as much as possible.
It might sound daft but did you check to see if its just run out of petrol?

205xsmad
08-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Cheers neil.

The engine won't turn over when I try and start, I dont think the car was making any black smoke, but it smelt like the engine was running very rich. Checked the petrol, added more oil, but this just leaked out overnight into a puddle under the car..

nialusa
08-20-2004, 11:53 PM
Well I dont like to be the bringer of bad news but it sounds like the engine is siezed, I could be wrong, its hard to tell without actually being there to look at it. Fear not though all is not lost, depending upon how mechanically minded you are your best option would be to put in a reconditioned engine, or a good one from a scrap yard, there are plenty about as 205`s are getting old now. An engine swap is a big job but not too hard if you have a few spare days and a bit of space. I did this to a mates car on my own with only a haynes manual for company, it started first time and ran like a dream till he crashed it.(There is a twin carb version that comes as standard on E-reg XS`s, if the inlet manifold is compatable with your engine try to find one as it will make your car quicker, I used to race and beat 1.6 Gti`s in my XS up to 60mph before the gearing ran out of legs.) Have fun with this one, dont loose patience, XS`s are great little cars and will give you much fun, Once it gets going. Feel free to contact me if you want any more advice, I`ll help where I can bearing in mind I am not a mechanic just a DIY fan when it comes to fixing cars.

smoke_ur_arse_fast
11-07-2004, 01:08 PM
its a easy job u can do it on your own in a day and a half all you need is a lot of patients and some good memory for were the wires all go

Add your comment to this topic!