1999 Astro Van starting problem

szterrell
08-15-2004, 07:08 PM
My 1999 Astro van doesn't start 7 out of 10 time ... no crank no noise no nothing. Sometimes if I put it in neutral - it'll start. Sometimes if I open the hood and let it cool off for 15 minutes - it'll start. Sometimes if I take the square ignition starter fuse box under the hood out and put it in cool water then reinstall - it'll start. I have had a new starter installed along with transmission selector switch to the tune of over $500 and the problem still isn't fixed! Can any body help?!! Thanks, Suzi

tysons
08-16-2004, 04:47 PM
engine ground good?

KathyD
08-17-2004, 09:10 AM
I'm not sure if this is related to your problem, but my 99 Astro has an intermittant starting problem as well. It seems only to happen when it's raining or VERY humid out. It turns over, but won't start. Father-in-law who knows about cars bypassed the passkey system (as if he were going to install a remote starter) since there seems to be trouble with the passkey system in these things, but that didn't seem to help. Sometimes, if I leave the key on for 10 minutes (apparently the time it takes the system to reset) it will start and run fine, other times it takes waiting 10 minutes twice, other times this doesn't work at all! Would love some advice as well, since I'm not sure where to start...I don't want to spend a fortune fixing things that won't solve the problem.
Thanks!
KathyD

tysons
08-19-2004, 06:00 AM
kathy have you ever had a tune up on your truck?
sounds like bad wires.

RDOW
08-22-2004, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure if this is related to your problem, but my 99 Astro has an intermittant starting problem as well. It seems only to happen when it's raining or VERY humid out. It turns over, but won't start. Father-in-law who knows about cars bypassed the passkey system (as if he were going to install a remote starter) since there seems to be trouble with the passkey system in these things, but that didn't seem to help. Sometimes, if I leave the key on for 10 minutes (apparently the time it takes the system to reset) it will start and run fine, other times it takes waiting 10 minutes twice, other times this doesn't work at all! Would love some advice as well, since I'm not sure where to start...I don't want to spend a fortune fixing things that won't solve the problem.
Thanks!
KathyD
I have the same problem with my 97, It does not want to start when it rains, I have replaced the fuel pump but the problem is still there. any luck please let me know.

LTJGWorth
08-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Check out http://www.astrosafari.com for an answer. That place is great.

dimotorsports
12-21-2004, 10:11 PM
For the guys with the hard to start after rain...
Sounds like a bad coil pak...
Moisture will cause them to be faulty.

JFL
12-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Had an intermitent starting problem on my 99 about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Mecnanic said it was problem with passkey system, worn contacts in ignition switch. Replaced switch and everything was fine for about 14 months then problem started again. This time mechanic replaced ignition module and problem went away (fingures crossed).

clancy95
05-13-2006, 01:29 PM
did you fig out how to stop this problem i have the same problem its a pain in the ,,,,,,,.

strunch
05-13-2006, 01:47 PM
I have the same year van and the exact same problem with it not starting when it rains. Still looking for solution.

GCSCanada
05-14-2006, 10:44 PM
I had same problem with my van only starting some of the time. It was the passkey system. Replaced the ignition switch. All was then great.

For KathyD (not starting in the rain)- had the same problem with not starting (or continuing to run in my case) when it was humid or raining. The coil was the problem. The first coil I installed (new from dealer) was bad. Cracked just like the old one I replaced (boy was I happy when it died again the next day it rained!). Got it replaced, all works great now. I checked the coil by starting my van at night and spraying water at the coil using a plant mister. It lit up like a Christmas tree where it was crecked. Replaced it, with a good one, and all has been fine since.

Add your comment to this topic!