Page updated on 12-13-2017

spraying X/XF Tamiya Axrylics - primer ?

Bigsasquatch
08-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Hi,

I was just messing around practicing various different paint combos, as I didn't have any previous experience airbrushing acrylics.

Do you recommend priming before spraying tamiya acrylics ? I ask because I did a test run with White auto primer and I noticed in some areas the XF paint didn't stick to the primer too well ? Did I thin my paint too much ?

I always use primer for the acrylic laquers, but honestly speaking seems you get better results spraying X/XF's directly onto the washed / dried plastic !

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

BIG"S"

freakray
08-15-2004, 11:57 AM
I have used Tamiya white primer successfully, it's a lacquer primer but it is made to work with Tamiya acrylics too.

joelwideqvist
08-16-2004, 01:54 AM
As the acrylics don't attack the plastic surface as the laquers CAN do you don't have to prime the parts.
But the primer are perfect for several other matters, like showing irregularities on the surface and filling those small small scratches.
/Joel

minniebanister
08-16-2004, 01:02 PM
As Joel says, a "primer" under Tamiya acrylics is good for showing imperfections and filling small scratches. Also, you may need to lay down an undercoat of white or gray to go with the top coat you plan to use (e.g. white under red).

I use Tamiya XF-2 flat white or XF-19 sky grey for these purposes.

Add your comment to this topic!