Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Battery Light, Trouble Codes PO443 and PO449: EVAP Solenoid Valve

cflanigan
08-14-2004, 09:42 PM
I've had a few problems recently with my 1999 Malibu which has 51,000 miles on it. The car has had no mechanical or electrical problems and received proper maintenance and care prior to my taking over the title at 49,000 miles from my mother.

The check engine light recently were coming on and off intermittently along with the battery light and the ABS light. I took the car into Pep Boys in Long Island City, Queens NY and they said I needed a new battery. I did not ask for the voltage as I assumed after 50k miles and a few hot summers with the A/C running that was true. They said the alternator was fine, but the battery light would continue to come on until I've driven it awhile.

The battery light and theft system light came back, along with the check engine light. I went back to the garage and they again said the alternator was fine, but they did a diagnostic and codes PO443 (EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve 1 Control Circuit) and PO449 (Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Control Circuit) came up on the computer. They checked the solenoid and said it seemed fine. They reset the check engine light, and said they would reset it if it came back on, but said there was some engine noise and that I should take it to another shop that did major engine work.

Obviously, I'm quite suspicious of their work, but even more concerned when the ABS, Theft System and Battery light came on then off twice today. The check engine light also, and did not turn off.

I'm going to call Triple-A for a mechanic recommendation, and call my credit card company to cancel payment to Pep Boys because it's unacceptable to have paid for the original problem only to reoccur.

In the meantime, if there's anyone out there who can lend some guidance as to what the solenoid valve problem could mean and why the battery light, ABS, theft system lights are coming on and off, I'd appreciate it.

johnholl
08-15-2004, 10:05 AM
You may have a reputable garage check the charging circuit[altenator output under load..ect]. A faulty charging circuit can cause a multitude of codes and warning lights to set.

FIRST: Make sure your gas cap is tight, and check its gasket. [for the purge problem]

Check the water level in your battery, check the condition of your serpentine belt.

Check your oil level, check your coolent levels. If either is indicating a coolent to crackcase leakage, and, if this car is still under Factory Warranty. Insist your Chevy dealership change the intake manifold gaskets.

Also, Advanced Auto Parts will read your codes for free. I don't believe that PepBoys purposely tried to rip you off. Perhaps you can take it bake and have them do a full chargng system test.

cflanigan
08-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Thank you. I will check those out today.

cflanigan
08-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Went to a garage in Flushing, Queens recommended by two people -- Dan's Automotive and the mechanic there, Chucky, took a look at the read-out - again PO443 & PO449, he looked at the solenoid valves and said he needs to replace two of them. It's normal wear and tear and he's seen this problem twice before in the Malibu.

patarusky
06-14-2005, 04:52 AM
Went to a garage in Flushing, Queens recommended by two people -- Dan's Automotive and the mechanic there, Chucky, took a look at the read-out - again PO443 & PO449, he looked at the solenoid valves and said he needs to replace two of them. It's normal wear and tear and he's seen this problem twice before in the Malibu.

Which solenoid valve did he replace for the 449 code and where is that valve located? I'm having the same code pop up but my malibu runs just fine. Thanks

cflanigan
06-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Which solenoid valve did he replace for the 449 code and where is that valve located? I'm having the same code pop up but my malibu runs just fine. Thanks

Not sure which valve it was. It was plastic, that's all I know. That was a year ago and everything has run smoothly since.

ddiamo
11-13-2006, 05:07 PM

I am having the same issue on my Malibu. Do you have the full name/number of the garage you used? Also, how much does this type of repair cost? Could this be a do-it-yourself repair? If so, what are the names of the parts I would need to buy? Thanks in advance.

Add your comment to this topic!