Gasket around license plate area

dshow
08-14-2004, 06:10 AM
I have an '03 TB that the rubber basket around the piece that holds the rear license plate keeps getting sucked in behind it. It has been replaced twice by the dealer and the third one is starting to go....
(I have notice many other TB's with this problem)

Is there a fix for this? What happens when it is no longer under warranty?

markbair
08-15-2004, 11:01 AM
I have an '03 as well. I took it too the dealer once for them to fix it and they scratched the crap out of my tailgate and had to repaint it!!

I have sinced moved and have the same problem once again. I took it to the dealer here and he has never heard of that problem. Go figure....I have seen a couple of bulletins released on it (from searching the internet this weekend) and am going to bring them to his attention.

TSB#: 04-08-66-001 Jan 04

I think this is the one. Hopefully this will aid him in fixing it. You are not alone in your troubles!!

Quick Question: Mine is getting sucked behind on the right side of the holder. Towards the top. Is yours in the same place?

dshow
08-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Yep... Right top corner. Is it something to do with the heat from the sun causing it to shrink?

A majority of the TB's I've seen have this problem...

markbair
08-15-2004, 07:46 PM
I am not sure if it is the sun shrinking it or what, but it is annoying!! My dealer here said, "Hmm....I have never seen that before...." I was thinking, sure, I bet. I see it on just about EVERY trailblazer. Go figure...he he.

Hopefully I can get this fixed tomorrow. He said it may take a few days...I better get a rental car. A few days?? Maybe to order the part. Let me know if you find out anything. (Another Bulletin or something)

Good luck!

dshow
08-15-2004, 10:05 PM
I think I need to watch them repair it next time because after the warranty runs out... we'll be fixing it on our own... (They should give us a lifetime supply of gaskets too!)

markbair
08-15-2004, 10:53 PM
I agree 100% he he.....

The hardest part would be taking apart the paneling (is that right? I can't spell) on the inside to get to the bolts that hold that thing on. I guess that is how that thing is held on. Like I said before, I don't think the dealer even knew how to take it off, considering they scratched it like crazy the first time.

I agree with you though, I may be watching them from afar...... ;) he he

Bullethole
08-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Mine looked a little funky when I took delivery a year ago. By this summer it looked like melted sealant. Took it back to the dealer and he said he does 2-3 a week. Fixed it while I waited (45 min.) The new gasket looks fine but we will have to wait and see if it lasts.

b_zieman
08-16-2004, 11:34 AM
hey mine came without one period... i havent ever bothered to get it put on cuz to be honest i think it looks 100 times better without it.

markbair
08-16-2004, 11:43 AM
I like the way it looks with it, they just need to figure out why it keeps melting/shrinking. It is totally crazy.

I just back from the dealer and they are ordering me another gasket and will fix it again. Apparently in the Service Bulletin is something about tightening the bolts a certain way (Like a head gasket) to keep the seal from sneaking back behind it again. Crazy huh?? :D

I find it very odd that only the right-top of the gasket is where it is sneaking behind. Is the wind somehow pulling that section out and the gasket sliding behind? It just doesn't make sense that it keeps doing it.

Mr. Northface
08-29-2004, 12:05 AM
Mine did it & I had the jerks at the delership fix it. They also scratched up my tailgate!

Now it is doing that again & I plan on having it done once more :mad:

Can't say I have much faith in the new part holding any better......& supposedly, I have the "newer" design version to hold better.....yeah right! I have seen so many other T.B's with the same problem....way to go GM!

The Black Pearl
11-02-2004, 09:58 PM
I am in the market for a used TB and found the same problem on an 03 I was looking at. Does the rear wiper release any washer fluid on that side? Maybe its a reaction to the washer fluid if it does??

ReefShark
11-03-2004, 12:39 PM
I read this post and went out and looked at my '02. No problem, no gasket. Guess this was added in '03, if someone was an '02 with a gasket, let me know.

The Black Pearl
11-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Just took home an 04 for the night and the gasket is fine, but the 04 Envoy that was parked beside it had a problem. I now look at the gaskets on all the Envoys and TB I have been looking at and noticed that a majority of these SUV's have a problem witth the passenger side gasket.

jl830344
11-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Just piad dealer $133 to have my gasket replaced. Trim Not under warranty. and have 39000 miles on it.
Out of luck I guess.

iimac13
11-15-2004, 03:38 PM
I've had mine replaced 3 times under warranty...it keeps getting sucked in...

Problem is that dirt/moisture gets inside the door and can cause a worse problem in the long run.

I told the dealer to just take it off, and I did some handycraft kind of repair myself, using scotch tape to outline the plate and applied black silicone(for gaskets) very neatly. Once the tape was removed, it took a couple hours to dry, it looks perfect, and I guarantee it WON'T get sucked in.....

usa1811
11-15-2004, 06:16 PM
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH SILICONE. Use only the type specified for electronics. If you use household types the curring will start a coorsion process on the electrical components (locks, ect) inside the lift gate!!!

iimac13
11-17-2004, 12:39 AM
The black silicone I used is specified for automotive use, and prevents corrosion. Good point though...it should definetively not have that 'mildew killer agent' used on the house versions of silicone(clear, white gloss, black, pearl, etc., etc...).

Thank you for clearing it up...

The Black Pearl
11-17-2004, 09:06 PM
I suggest that owners with this problem contact GM and mention that you posted the problem on a web site. But this little problem should have an easy fix by GM. I called GM tonight, not that it would do anything and provided the link to these posts. I also mentioned I took home a new 04 for the night last week and noticed the same problem and that they (GM Canada) can contact the GM dealership that I was planning to buy my $40k truck from and ask the sales person why I did not sign the purchase agreements on Monday (Nov 15) and deferred the purchase.

dshow
01-18-2005, 05:40 AM
Well... My third gasket has now been sucked behind the license plate piece... I guess I'm going back to the dealer for #4...

fhall1
01-30-2005, 03:45 PM
I bought a used 03 in December and after reading this thread looked at the gasket and it looked fine...haven't paid attentio to it for a couple weeks now and yep...getting sucked in on the top driver side corner.

LTZ2FLIP4
01-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Just buy some black Velcro and apply the "loop" side Velcro to the back of the plate. NOT the hook side, cuz it will scratch.

Never had a gasket on my '02 but noticed that the plate would scratch.

fhall1
01-30-2005, 06:10 PM
It's not where the plate itself attaches...it's actually a piece of metal that includes where the plate mounts that "surrounds" the plate - it's a separate piece from the rest of the tailgate...where those two pieces meet there's a gasket between them. Hard to describe adequately with words and too cold out to snap a pic of right now.

Jethro
01-30-2005, 09:40 PM
I don't have that gasket on my 02 but noticed that the part the is attached to the taglight and assembly where it meets the rest of the door has paint missing in the joint. Looks like a factory defect and possibly still under body warranty? Anyone have this problem?

dshow
02-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Since when the warranty expires we will be replacing this gasket ourselves, does anyone have a copy of the TSB with instructions on how to replace it?

(TSB 03-08-66-008 July 03 Body - License Plate Housing Gasket Shrinkage)

Thanks!

lkurek
02-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Two things.....first, what gasket are you guys talking about? Are you talking about the seam between the tailgate and the "basket" that has the license plate, license light, etc in it? No problem with this on my 04....

HOWEVER....I'm actually considering pulling this basket off and welding in a filler panel. I think the back tailgate would look 1000 times better smoothed out.... I just need to find an aesthetic place to mount the plate...maybe the back axle ;)

fhall1
02-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Yes...that's the area with gasket I'm talking about.

Mr. Northface
02-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Know what, doesn't GM offer a 1 year or SOME kind of warranty on replacement GM parts when you have work done?

If they do, you should be able to get a replacement gasket fixed under the parts warrantry from the last time it was fixed even if your vehicle warranty is out right?

Mine is going in Wednesday for #3 & if it keeps on doing it which I am sure it will, then I will scream until it gets fixed. It's obviously a design flaw that they STILL can't fix!

So why should we have to pay for something that isn't our fault? It isn't fair & the people at GM should wake up a realise that they need to do something :mad:

Jethro
02-12-2005, 09:15 AM
My 02 never had a gasket so they wont consider coveing up the corrosin around my tag area. :angryfire

jryocum
03-07-2005, 12:15 PM
I read this post and went out and looked at my '02. No problem, no gasket. Guess this was added in '03, if someone was an '02 with a gasket, let me know.

I have an 02, and that gasket looks like poorly applied sealant in some places, other places looks like non uniform gasket..very poor quality

dshow
03-10-2005, 07:59 PM
I talked to a guy that has an 02 and it did not come with the gasket. The paint started chipping where the metal met so they fixed his paint and added a gasket...

fhall1
04-03-2005, 06:27 PM
dshow - thanks for the TSB number...

I took my 03 TB in (only 23,300 miles on it) because the fan clutch went kaflooey and had to be replaced...I told them as long as it was in the shop to please look at the gasket and gave them the TSB number. So, they replaced the gasket at the same time...we'll see how long it lasts.

stradi_various
06-03-2005, 08:09 PM
I have an '03 TB that the rubber basket around the piece that holds the rear license plate keeps getting sucked in behind it. It has been replaced twice by the dealer and the third one is starting to go....
(I have notice many other TB's with this problem)

Is there a fix for this? What happens when it is no longer under warranty?

Apparently the reason the seal around the license plate pocket gets sucked in is thermal expansion. The lift gate is metal while the pocket is plastic. Temperature variations make the two materials to expand/contract differently, therefore relative movement between them. Without the gasket, the two would rub against each other and ruin the paint. Your best bet is to get used to changing the seal from time to time. I have just changed mine (not a big deal). Paid CND20 for the seal and spent about an hour to replace it.

dshow
06-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Please give us instruction on how to replace it and the p/n of the gasket (its probably on the TSB, but I can't find it anymore...) Thanks.

stradi_various
06-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Please give us instruction on how to replace it and the p/n of the gasket (its probably on the TSB, but I can't find it anymore...) Thanks.

ok...let's see how good a memory I have...

I do not have the part number; I just called a Chevy dealer and asked if they had the rubber gasket around the licence plate pocket in stock and then went and picked it up from them (paid cnd20).

Follow the following steps:

1. Remove the top interior plastic trim around the lift glass by gently pulling to undo the snap clamps. I understand that there is actually a specialized tool to help you with that, but it's probably not worth the money.

2. Do the same with the bottom one, going around the edge. Dont; worry if some of the clamps come off. It's easy to put them back after.

3. There is also a push pin adjacent to the lift glass latch. Put your index finger inside the latch and push the pin out. You should be able to remove the bottom trim as well.

4. With the gate open, look up around the latching mechanism. You will see five (if I recall corectly) galvanized bolts. They are attaching the pocket to the gate. Unscrew the nuts first. There is also a plastic clamp attaching the actuating rod to the rear gate handle (the one you pull up onto to lift the gate). Remove this clamp before closing the gate and removing the pocket. Please note that once the gate is locked, you will have to unlock it from inside (through the lift glass) or better yet stick something to prevent it from closing.

4.1 Note also that there is a plastic sheet behind the handle, likely to prevent water to get into the latching mechanism. You will have to bend it to access the screws. Do not forget to place it back in the initial position.

5. Before removing the seal, mark the ends of it on the pocket, so you do not have to play with the new one to install it simmetrically. Remove the old seal and install the new one, wrapping it around the pocket.

6. Follow the steps in reverse order to put your car back together :-)

Hope this helps! Let me know how it went!

Cheers!

Add your comment to this topic!