Page updated on 10-20-2017

Anyone from Toronto?!?

Porsche Carrera
08-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Hello,

I want to know if there's anymore hobby shops around the GTA that you can recommend me. That sells mostly Japanese kits and accessories. The only places that I know of is the one at Pacific Mall, Grey Region and North Star Hobby. Please post a link too, if possible! :)

Cheers!
Lex

JTRACING
08-13-2004, 02:15 PM
i live just outside niagara falls, but i lived in toronto for 5 years, there are a few good stores there

-Panther Hobbies 2580 Wharton Glen (Mississauga)

-Pickering Hobby 1271 Kingston Road (Pickering)

-Hornet Hobbies 1563 O'Connor Drive (Toronto)

-Keiths Hobby Shop 5205 Yonge Street

-Dragon Hobby 612 Gerrard Street (good selection of japanese stuff)

g00eY
08-13-2004, 03:43 PM
are any of them cheap(cheaper than the US)? cuz i think im going there at the very end of summer.

TireGaint
08-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi fellow, I am a Markham resident. The one in Pacific Mall is the greatest throught out Toronto. Their prices,and goods are the best. You can also put special order from them.

aN4rK1
08-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Hello there, i live in London ontario, ive lived in Toronto for about 4 years b4, and yea i think that pacific mall is the best place, but their prices can be a little steep

scamp
08-14-2004, 07:36 AM
My wife keeps asking me to take her to Toronto so now I have an excuse. So where is the Pacific Mall and some of these other stores? I usually park off Younge by the Hockey Hall Of Fame. So if someone can give me a rough idea of where to go I will suprise her with a trip soon

Charlie

TireGaint
08-14-2004, 08:24 AM
My wife keeps asking me to take her to Toronto so now I have an excuse. So where is the Pacific Mall and some of these other stores? I usually park off Younge by the Hockey Hall Of Fame. So if someone can give me a rough idea of where to go I will suprise her with a trip soon

Charlie

Hi Charlie, Pacific Mall is on Kennedy and Steels. It is a Chinese Mall, so you can suprise her by bringing her into a Chinese Mall :smile: . The name of the model shop is Kuramae Hobby Shop..store #B5, it is located near the East Asian Bank which is in the north-east corner in the mall. Their price is really good when comparing with other model stores in Toronto. The owners of that store are real modelers. By the way, you can also put special order from them because they go into Borefeldt stockhouse twice a week. They also have the most updated model (esp. Tamiya) and accessories. *****Parking spcaces are very limited during weekend, which you may wait half an hour to park you car.... Have Fun :smile:

g00eY
08-15-2004, 01:47 PM
does Kuramae carry styrene sheet and epoxy putty for body kits and stuff?

JTRACING
08-15-2004, 01:52 PM

every hobby store i have been to carries that, shouldnt be hard to find.
you an always get it online

TireGaint
08-15-2004, 02:39 PM

Ya they do. :D If u need any help, you can ask the bosses ( Kelvin and Ken). :D

g00eY
08-15-2004, 05:54 PM
every hobby store i have been to carries that, shouldnt be hard to find.
you an always get it online

lol... i wish. if i could get stuff that i need here then i wouldnt even think about going to a hobby store in Canada. ive been to 3 stores and only one had epoxy putty(i think it was overpriced) and none have styrene. at least i couldnt find anything...

i think this is my last question: i looked on the map and Kuramae hobby shop is way on the other side of Toronto and im not sure if we are going that way so i was wondering what is the best store within 10 miles of Mississauga that carries a good selection of Tamiya kits and paint and plastic sheet and epoxy putty? sorry for all the questions.

TireGaint
08-15-2004, 07:45 PM
lol... i wish. if i could get stuff that i need here then i wouldnt even think about going to a hobby store in Canada. ive been to 3 stores and only one had epoxy putty(i think it was overpriced) and none have styrene. at least i couldnt find anything...

i think this is my last question: i looked on the map and Kuramae hobby shop is way on the other side of Toronto and im not sure if we are going that way so i was wondering what is the best store within 10 miles of Mississauga that carries a good selection of Tamiya kits and paint and plastic sheet and epoxy putty? sorry for all the questions.

Actually the store is located 30mins drive from downtown Toronto. If u need any direction, you can PM me. :smile:

g00eY
08-15-2004, 07:50 PM
haha... thanks for the offer about the directions but i think i can find my way. i searched for the name and i found some directions. if im correct its on the north part of Toronto?

ok... MAYBE this will be my last question.

TireGaint
08-15-2004, 08:58 PM
haha... thanks for the offer about the directions but i think i can find my way. i searched for the name and i found some directions. if im correct its on the north part of Toronto?

ok... MAYBE this will be my last question.

Ya, it is right.:D

Porsche Carrera
08-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Thank you guys for all the insightful replies. :icon16:

Mistro
08-02-2005, 03:01 PM
First of all I would like to apologize to everyone thinking "omg wtf!!11!!1one!!! he just brought up this old thread!"

The board rules tell me to search and this was the topic I found already about what I am about to ask so I am posting here rather than at a new topic.

With that aside, I would like to ask what skill levels Kumare and hornet hobbies tend to offer with models. I am looking for 3 or 3+ since wallmart and zellers seem to only have 1s and 2s. Also, do any of those two sell a good selection of paints?

Also, I have some doubts as to how big of a selection kumare has considering that the stores at Pacific mall have such small space. Is there a wide selection of cars or would Hornet Hobbies be a better place to start looking in terms of selection and price of both models and other supplies?

To be specific, I'm looking for a civic (sedan) or an rsx or integra to get back into modelling since all my old models are either in the garbage or broken by spoiled kids whose parents don't say anything when I'm out of the house and they think they are toy cars :screwy:. Aswell I need some paint as the only thing I have left as of now thats not dried up or empty is a couple detailing colours (you know, like chorme, engine red and some interior colours) and a brush.

What "tools" should I invest in to start off with. I know for sure that I need some sand paper but what else should I need in terms of types of paint, painting tools, modeling tools (ie: styrene) and such to start off with?

Thanks in advance for the help
- Mistro

g00eY
08-02-2005, 03:58 PM
1) Welcome to the AF car modelling forum!

2) tools - to start off you will want at least:
- a Xacto or sharp hobby knife
- start out with the basic colors, and go from there(variations of black and silver are the most used)
- get a can of spray paint(Tamiya sprays, automotive sprays) and a can of primer for the body and the chassis and whatnot
- brush

you probably won't need styrene and putty unless you want to scratchbuild something.

3)i'm pretty sure there are Civic sedans, RSXs, and Integras out there. i've just never built Fujimi, Hasegawa, and stuff. i'm more of a Tamiya and Revell. i know for sure that Revell makes an Integra Type R(the one with the circle headlights).

hope this helps.

Mistro
08-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks! That does help quite a bit, however if I'm going to be painting shouldn't I sand first? And what grits of paper should I be looking at?

And of course... Do any of those TO stores have them? I checked out Kumare yesterday but Pacific mall had closeing so I only got to see inside in the dark through the doorway and I only saw models but no tools or anything like that.

g00eY
08-03-2005, 11:24 AM
i'm sure they have tools, if they don't then that hobby store kinda sucks. i don't live in Toronto(or in Canada) so i don't know their shops. i only sand the car body before spraypainting it. i use 400 grit sandpaper very lightly, some people use higher grits. 400 is a bit rough for models so if you use 400 grit sandpaper you need to be real light. don't forget to use primer before the color coats. there is a how-to on spray painting in the tutorials.

g00eY
08-03-2005, 11:26 AM
oh and you can usually go to any car store(Pep Boys, Autozone, etc...) to find sandpaper. highest grit i have seen was(i think) 2000 grit sandpaper at Autozone. you can also buy automotive paint(i recommend Duplicolor or Plastikote) at auto stores. and wax.

Add your comment to this topic!