Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Short Ram Intake

4DHTRS
08-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Hello all I have a problem I have a 94 SC1 and my g/f purchased me a SRI from a company called Nex-Tech :nono: to view the product go to www.hardcoretuning.com. The problem is the intake will not fit my batterty is in the way, among other things that are in the way i have no idea how to put this thing on i tried but failed any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanx,
Chris

P.S.
When i recieved the product in the mail on the box it said it was for my car but im still at a loss

sierrap615
08-14-2004, 06:17 PM
sorry the company is wrong, that will only fit 95-early99 SOHC. its designed to work with MPFI with the throdle body mounted on the side of the intake manifold, and the air filter inbetween the battery and headlight. your 94 SOHC has TBI with the throdle body mounted on top of the intake manifold, under the air filter. no one makes a short ram intake for the 91-94 SOHCs.

however....

you may be able to buy some air ducts at your local hardware store and retrofit a elbow to fit on the throdle body and your short ram. i have heard of people talking about it, but i have never seen a photo.

also, its not going to be and exact fit even if you had MPFI. you see, saturns and some eclipses had similar intakes. not an exact fit, but close. before saturn short ram intakes were widely available, some people use eclipse intakes instead. lots of these short ram manufacturers don't even make saturn intakes, they just send out the eclipses ones, because they think they are exactly the same. you have one of the eclipse style, don't worry, so do i. it might be a little cockeyed, the two little mounting bars are worthless, and if you run across the IAT sensor, ether let it dangle or drill a new hole in your intake.

any more question feel free to ask

4DHTRS
08-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey thanx if i do decided to mod my intake to fit do i remove my old drop in filter and keep it empty and rely on the cone filter to clean the air? And if i leave the IAT sensor dangling wont it tell my computer inaccurate information about air intake?

sierrap615
08-16-2004, 02:03 AM
it won't be accurate, but it will work, just some people don't bother drilling and taping the hole.

heres how i would do it-

1. remove IAT sensor, stock tubing, filter, and housing.
2. drill and tap a place for the sensor in the new intake. besure it placed in a spot it won't hit anything (IE - Hood, battery, head; i tapped the outside of the large bend) and that the wires will reach. and clean the shavings
3.place the new intake were the old tubing was. with the sharper 90 degree bend toward the firewall, and the large approx. 60 degree bend in the front so the filter is between the battery and the headlight (this is where the eclipse design is the problem, if it will sit there by itself, fine, if not, you are on your own making a mount.
4. with the intake in place, it should be easy to judge the right size for the elbow and extention to the throddle body.

4DHTRS
08-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Ok just make sure im doing this right when im done do i put the old housing back on cuz on my car if i take the housing off i have no where to connect the intake tube.

sierrap615
08-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Ok just make sure im doing this right when im done do i put the old housing back on cuz on my car if i take the housing off i have no where to connect the intake tube.

thats right, keep it off. but like i said, you need to make the connection from the intake to the throdle body your self

sickcallawayc12
09-27-2004, 02:58 PM
I had the same problem with my IAT sensor, but found an oddball solution. I went on ebay and found this weird "power king" module that has a dial in which you can turn to add a little power to your car. the minimum setting gives best fuel economy while the max gives more horsepower. Said it was a competing chip with JET. It requires you to remove the sensor and has a two wire hookup into the holes where the sensor was (in the plug). It cost 30 dollars and seems to work, it's a little difficult to tell the power increase (at least in my car).

BackseatJesus
09-29-2004, 11:47 AM
They did the same thing with that 93 SL2's that SRI wouldnt fit, battery was in the way, my friend decided to buy the part, "United Parts" but i guess thats just what you get when you buy a junk E-bay part. I made my own, worked and sounded great, and that was on a 97 Dodge Grand Caravan...

Add your comment to this topic!